Victorinox Compact SAK...first impressions

I picked up a Compact today. Since I haven't had a chance to try everything out, I will give a rundown of what it's got, This is the standard 3 1/2" size, with the same profile as the Standard and Tinker. It has the large blade, scissors, and combination bottle/can opener with screwdriver tip, the corner of which will fit phillips head. In the handle scales you've got tooth pick, tweezers, and ball point pen. Th back of the knife contains corkscrew/eye glass screwdriver, parcel carrier with nail file on back, and a straight pin near te pivot of the corkscrew. The knife would shave out of the box and has the usual Victorinox fit and finish. Overall, it puts a lot of features in a very compact unit.
Once I try out the can opener and find a use for the parcel hook I will post a more thorough reveiw.

Paul

Paul, Try the parcel hook for lacing and fitting a new pair of boots....it works great! Mike

Yes - twice: one time I pooled out dirty net from a river, another - wire from a narrow hole in a wall.

I bought "Compact" month ago and now it is always in my pocket. I replaced "Climber" with it and feel quite happy. "Compact" is lighter, has no superfluous tools - real compact
smile.gif

There is one thing only I miss - awl. And I'm ready to replace parcel hook with it.

Regards,
MIKLE

P.S.: IMO: SAKs are best and the most balanced POCKET multitools due to their small but sufficient dimension and multiusage possibilities (I remember that SAK is in my pocket only when I need it).

Wouldn't it be great if we could order a specific SAK, but substitute one tool for another, and pay a fee for customization?

I can dream, can't I?

Wouldn't it be great if we could order a specific SAK, but substitute one tool for another, and pay a fee for customization?

I can dream, can't I?

------------------

Craig
-----
"May I have 10,000 marbles, please?"
- Flounder
- The movie "Animal House"

cardimon,
I've thought the same thing myself. Only problem is, I don't think I could make up my mind about which tools I would want.
smile.gif

Paul

BTW, the combo can/bottle opener works OK, but not as smoothly as the regular Vic can opener. It works fine as a regular AND phillips screwdriver. Overall, it packs a lot of punch for it's size. Mine will serve as a vehicle knife.

Paul

cardimon, I'm with you.

Yes, combo can/bottle opener works not as smoothly as the regular, but, IMHO, it is not a real problem.
It could work as a PHILLIPS screwdriver ? Let me see what I could screw out in my computer … Yes ! It's working ! Not only for screwing out but for screwing on too
smile.gif

Paul Work,
Thank you for the really great advice !

Regards,
MIKLE

Back