Victorinox FOLDING paring knife?

I can't read music very well myself, but I'm sure someone who knows their stuff could use it to conduct an orchestra. :thumbsup:;)

- GT

Seems like the tip wouldn't poke anyones eye either if it slips out.

I didn't know such a knife existed from Victorinox, until now.

I've long wished they'd take the same blade profile from their standard paring knife and put it into a folding pattern. It'd be one I'd love to drop in my pocket. This new one looks like a different blade profile, especially with the rounded tip. But if the grind is as beautifully thin as with the standard parer, it should be a fantastic slicer. It looks like the new grind is hollow, whereas the original was flat-ground. That hollow grind could make it thinner behind the edge and even easier to sharpen up. Victorinox's steel is great and it sharpens up beautifully to a fine edge. For the money, I'd likely jump on it. Don't see a lot to lose there, in trying one out.

I bought a serrated model for food prep when I'm out and about with my nieces and nephews. Nice thin blade and edge, so it cuts very well, looks like a butter knife so people's eyes don't pop out of their head if they see you using it. It's the same as the various fixed Victorinox paring knives I own, it's always just around and ready to cut - not much more than that.

I was very very close to buy one for my mother a while ago.
She totally LOVES the Opinel # 7 I gave her but a while ago someone had left it in the sink with some water and of course it got very hard to open.
She was begging me on the phone for a fix :)

In the end I did not buy her the Victorinox.
It annoyed me that it had a rounded tip as I am sure she needs a pointy one to clean bad spots on potatoes, fruits etc.
It felt as I would have given her a "safe" kids knife.

(we did get the opinel working again and I am planning on giving her another one on which I will hopefully do a better job of sealing the wood)

Surprised by the total silence! :eek::rolleyes: Maybe I'll be the first kid on The Porch to get one! :cool::cool::D

Apologies for the delayed response. I eagerly awaited the release of this knife, and I purchased one as soon as they became available.

It is an excellent "picnic knife," and it functions as superbly as you'd expect for a Victorinox paring knife. There are only two downsides: the rounded tip obviously prevents it from performing any piercing tasks, and some folks who are accustomed to modern locking knives object to its "backwards" liner lock.

FWIW, I'm a fan.

The rounded tip is the one thing I'd have wished were different. Of the things I like to do with my standard Vic parers, one of them is the ability to 'stab' little slices of fruit, as from an apple sectioned up, to pick off the cutting board and pop into my mouth. Not an essential function. But still fun.

As soon as I saw the pics of the new rounded tip, I was already imagining a 'mod' to reshape the tip into either a spearpoint or something akin to the slight drop-point tip profile on a blade such as Case's Sod Buster. I'd think that'd be doable. The high hollow grind on this new Vic reminds me of the same thin, high hollow on the Jr. Soddie. And I've also wished before, that Case would make a similar kitchen-centric folding knife with the Jr. Soddie blade's width, thinness and same hollow grind, but longer.

Learned about two unknown to me Victorinox products today, this paring folder, which I think would be more aptly named a folding picnic knife, and the Victorinox nail clippers. I can see the utility of a sharp blade that folds and also has the shape of a butter knife for use in making sandwiches, and also non threatening looking...but yeah, not for me. I just don't see the point ;) The nail clippers, on the other hand, I am on the hunt.

I have one in the plain edge and serrated edge. We use them for picnics. The plain edge makes a decent sandwich/butter knife and the serrated edge version is great for slicing crusty bread. The only thing I don't like is the reversed liner lock. Should be popular with lefties though. :)

We actually just used them to polish off some cheese, butter, and a baguette because of this thread. They work real well!

vLPi9j9.jpg

Last edited:
I bought one fir a friend who is also a cutlery lover and who owns many high-end production traditionals (and even one Dowell). She speaks very highly of it. She wanted something low maintenance and un-threatening to keep in the glove box in order to cut fruit. She likes it and even bought a second one!

But, I don't have any first-hand experience, unfortunately.

Victorinox Paring/Utility "Little Vicky" ... not a folder but comes with a sheath
THIS is the most used paring knife in my kitchen and the sheath is right handy dandy
Comes VERY scary sharp and holds that edge ... think years ... when just used for paring veggies and food stuff
I use a cutting board. Plates and dishes might dull it quick(er)
This one is 3-4yrs old and I haven't even thought about sharpening it
Since it has a sheath, take on picnics and other excursions, trips and hikes ... toss it in the center console
Kicked my Opinel paring knives to the back of a drawer. Recommend
OH ... blade about 3 1/4" and knife is about 7" overall
EDIT: Prolly cheaper to just buy a new one rather than spend time sharpening one, given a choice
They only cost a song and I can name that tune in one note ... Victorinox "Little Vicky"

5jrLtlp.jpg

Last edited:
Back