Victorinox Handyman Original Version

Hi,
My Mother found my Dad's old Swiss Army Knife recently.
My Dad passed away about 16 years ago. So, it had been accumulating quite a bit of dust. It was not in great condition and the tools were extremely difficult to open. I had to use pliers to do so. I don't have any before pics.
I cleaned it up with isopropyl alcohol (probably shouldn't have) and soap and water and it came up OK.
sfv5l2xy4th41.png

I then oiled all of the joints with Singer sewing machine oil and now all of the tools can be opened, with one still being a little difficult.
5ezneyt15th41.png

The spring on the scissors is broken and have ordered a replacement from eBay.
k3iwl6x65th41.png

I checked out the SAKwiki.com and found it to be a great resource.
I think I have been able to identify the model and the era from that research.
I have identified it as the Handyman (original version) from the 1980 US catalogue and from other markings, it seems to be a 1980 - 1985 model.
Could anyone confirm?
The scales don't seem to be in great shape and seem to have lifted in some places and it makes it very difficult to get out the tweezers and toothpick.
aqfp62xf5th41.png

zj8m88hd5th41.png

nluzkcvi5th41.png

Will the scales stay on or eventually come off?
Does anyone think I should get replacement scales?
Does anyone know how I can remove the stains of the nail file?

They look like the might fall of at anytime. ;) I would definitely replace the scales. Very cool old knife. :):thumbsup:

Nice rescue and I agree with Grateful, replace the covers and your good. In regards to the rust/stains on the file, try some flitz or simichrome with a toothbrush, that may remove or reduce the stains:thumbsup:

Awesome you have you dads knife. Put some new scales on it and carry it every once in a while.

Nice rescue and I agree with Grateful, replace the covers and your good. In regards to the rust/stains on the file, try some flitz or simichrome with a toothbrush, that may remove or reduce the stains:thumbsup:
Thanks for the advice. Will try Simichrome or Flitz.

Covers will be replaced.

If you end up deciding to replace the scales, just a very friendly reminder you could use that chance to thoroughly clean the knife by immersing it into hot water with dish washing soap or use stronger cleaner to clear out all the grits and dust within the layers/pivots. The metal file could be nicely cleaned by wire brushes(that's the part most likely to gather rust for vintage SAK). Please do dry it with hair dryer and apply your choice of lube to pivot before putting the new scales on.

If you end up deciding to replace the scales, just a very friendly reminder you could use that chance to thoroughly clean the knife by immersing it into hot water with dish washing soap or use stronger cleaner to clear out all the grits and dust within the layers/pivots. The metal file could be nicely cleaned by wire brushes(that's the part most likely to gather rust for vintage SAK). Please do dry it with hair dryer and apply your choice of lube to pivot before putting the new scales on.

Yes, I will do.

Thanks for the advice.

Back