Victorinox pocket pal

Hey y'all, been a while.
I want in a local hardware store today thinking up projects (killing time ) went the the knife cabinet and saw this little knife. A lot more like a larger pen knife than a multitool. Two blades one lage pen one small pen. Much more slender and tapered than usual for Vics. I bought it, obviously. It got me thinking, it would be a great as a first knife. Bright color, easy spring, soft (stainless) steel. And I bought it at a VERY overpriced store for 19 dollars out the door. Just a late night thought. Have any of you had any experience with it? Ill post a pic tomorrow.

I had one that I passed on to my wife. They are good knives and she loves it. Before that she carried either a Buck 303 or a yellow CV Case Peanut. Since getting the pocket pal she hasn't looked back. It's lighter than the 303, has a little more handle than the Peanut and the blades hold a good enough edge for day to day chores while still being easy to sharpen.

Jim

I really like these. The consistent build quality that Victorinox is famous for, but without any gimmicks or 'tools'. Our local hardware store had some that were in crumbling yellowed clam packs. $5 each, I bought them all. :D

One of my all time favorite knives. It has seen more carry and use than any other over the last 20+ years.

I have two. One has aluminum covers. The other has plastic. Both red.

The one with aluminum covers was given to me by my father sometime in the 1960's. He thought it would be good for use when I wore a suit. (He was a businessman and in the 1960's men wore suits to work. He figured I would need one. Father always carried a small pocket knife.)

As for the other, I don't really remember when I got that. Several decades ago, I think.

You will note that the aluminum covered version is noticeably thinner.

Oddly enough, I've never worn a suit to work, except for job interviews.

2015-05-09%2011.41.28_zpscmcpp6fj.jpg

2015-05-09%2011.41.51_zpsz8wxe3rw.jpg

I bought a Pocket Pal last December, but haven't carried it much so far. I hope to rectify that this summer. One reason I got it is that I really like the small blade of my Vic Tinker for whittling, and thought this might give me a good "whittlin' at the bus stop" knife that was an easier carry than the Tinker.
vuBmUxul.jpg

Frank, your Alox version looks substantially thinner than the celidor version. Currently, Vic makes an Alox version called the Secretary, with silver Alox covers. Does anyone know if the Secretary is that much thinner than the current celidor Pocket Pal?

- GT

I have an Alox Secretary. I think it's Alox anyway. It has smooth silver aluminum covers. Judging by Frank's picture, my Alox Secretary is the same thickness as his red aluminum version. Possibly the thinnest knife I've ever handled.

For what it's worth, I find the plastic covered version friendlier in use. The "alox" version is a bit too thin for my taste.

For what it's worth, I find the plastic covered version friendlier in use. The "alox" version is a bit too thin for my taste.

I agree. I have both and the alox secretary just doesn't have enough handle to feel comfortable. The Pocket Pal is a great knife, especially for when one is dressed up (which I don't do anymore).

I have had mine over 20 years, got a red one and a black one.
The black one is my toolbox knife. Both are plastic handled.
I think best bang for the buck!

I agree. I have both and the alox secretary just doesn't have enough handle to feel comfortable. The Pocket Pal is a great knife, especially for when one is dressed up (which I don't do anymore).

Frank and Dean, thanks for the opinions on the comparative comfort of the two models. I thought I "needed" a Secretary soon, but no use getting a knife that's too thin to enjoy using!

- GT

To echo knarfeng and RDaneel, I have the red Secretary and it is indeed too thin to get a proper grip on, to the point of being unsafe for any work requiring force. My Ambassador, which I think is probably the same thickness as the Pocket Pal, is much more comfortable and secure in the hand. The Secretary is an elegant little knife, unnoticeable in the pocket and sufficient for light work, but my choice would be the Pocket Pal.

I bought one online last year to serve back up duty while traveling in Israel. Served me well while I was there and I passed it on to our tour bus driver when I left. He seemed pleased. I like the little knife and never did get around to buying a replacement. I'll have to put that on my to-do list. Inexpensive and pretty sturdy, quality product in my opinion. I have one that a vendor gave me from many years ago with the aluminum covers. I save that one for nostalgia but should probably carry it more often.

Had one. Really liked it - eminently pocketable. As it so often goes with this hobby, though, my eyes wandered. I gifted it to my father-in-law. I believe he keeps it on his home desk, and uses it as a letter/package opener. I also had the single blade version - the Sentry. Gifted that to a friend on another forum.

Last edited:

Looks like the Alox version is better left to tasks like letter opening and such.

Check out the Victorinox Pioneer Settler. A 93mm (Pocket Pal is 84mm) single layer/single spring version of the two blade pen with the thicker ribbed ALOX scales.

opplanet-victorinox-pioneersettler-knife-53966.png

Last edited:
Back