Victorinox Scissors? Columbia Razor Stone?

I've got two pieces of hardware here that I'm hoping some of you guys can give me some information about. I've got a nice pair of scissors made by Victorinox of Switzerland ( Swiss made for sure) and they cut like a laser and I touched them up this evening on my Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker. It seemed to really put a new, sharp edge on them>> even better than the factory. Are those good scissors compared to other premium brands? I've owned and used a lot of stuff made by Victorinox over the years ( especially their knives) and have had great luck with most of it. I also have one of their multitools ( SWISS TOOL X) and it's been super. So are these VICTORINOX scissors good compared to other top brand scissors?

Also I was recently given an old straight razor stone made by a company known as "COLUMBIA" who I've been told also made the straight razors too. Do any of you guys know anything about that razor stone? Any information on either one of these tools would be highly appreciated.

Victorinox scissors are actually made in Germany, so they outsourced production to a low-cost locale :) If I were to guess, they are probably made by Dahle.

They're general-purpose office scissors, nothing fancy. The people who are really demanding about their scissors are tailors and hairdressers.

Does the razor hone seem synthetic? There are a few brands of really fine man made hones, and many myths surrounding them. I don't recognize the name Columbia, but it could well be one of the smaller makers. Also many hardware and supply stores bought branded equipment from OEMs in Solingen and other cutlery cities. Unfortunately the straight razor community seems to have gotten even more fragmented, but I've not been a part of it for a few years now, so maybe someone has started to get people back together again.

Back