Victorinox Scissors: Why are they important?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Carloxicus, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Carloxicus

Carloxicus

Oct 3, 2011
    So we have all heard that Vic SAK scissors are some of the most used implements in Vic SAK's that have them. I too use the scissors all the time and have them on most of my Vic Swiss Army Knives. But last night, I thought of getting a Spartan just for the heck of it and just because it is supposedly the direct descendant of the Officer's Knife. And it looks good as all SAK's go. Except for one thing... it doesn't have the scissors.

So I thought to myself, can I EDC a SAK that has no scissors?

I'm sure a lot of you guys do, seeing as Pioneers or Farmers or Soldiers or Tinkers are very popular models. But then, let's discuss this:

Why are these Victorinox scissors so important?
    What can they do that the large blade and the small blade combined cannot possibly do?

Pour in your thoughts please. :D

2. Blunt Forged Edge

Blunt Forged Edge

May 15, 2012
    Snipping thread that's too short to grasp on one end to cut with the blade. Also snipping hangnails. That's just the two that comes to mind.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    TrainedBullets likes this.
  3. SAKsRCool

SAKsRCool

Dec 2, 2007
    I probably use mine the most for cutting hangnails before they catch on something and tear and the occasional nose hair. Now, my EDC alox soldier obviously doesn't have scissors but I have a leatherman style PS on my keychain when out of the house and a 58mm w/scissors at my work desk and computer desk.

4. Doug Add

Doug Add

Jan 9, 2012
    Some cutting jobs are simply accomplished more precisely with scissors than with a single blade.

I was cutting a bag of corn chips today with a Case pocket knife, which has a nice sharp blade, and the bag tore from the motion of my hand. That would not have happened had I been using scissors.

allenC likes this.
  5. pilgrimuk

pilgrimuk

Apr 18, 2006
    The scissors can be very useful; plastic tags, band-aids, tape, some intricate tasks are far easier with a scissors than blade. I had a Alox Farmer modded to include the scissors because they're so helpful.

allenC likes this.
  6. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Removing stitches, cutting nose hairs (yuk) or circumcising a Chihuahua. Try those things without precise scissors.

Night Rider likes this.
  7. Franciscomv

Franciscomv

Feb 7, 2005
    I use the scissors for nail maintenance, but the most important use I have for them is as part of my first aid kit. I travel around with a wrestling team and train at a couple of gyms, so I'm always patching people up. Most of the times it's easier to trim bandages, tape, butterfly stitches, etc. with scissors than with a knife.

8. Knife Crazied

Knife Crazied

Apr 17, 2009
    I can't stand having saks without scissors so I have a guy mod mine to add scissor layers.

Just to show a few.....

Blue farmer

[​IMG]

Wenger SI

[​IMG]

Sent from Ash forum mobile

Storm 8593 and Night Rider like this.
  9. Blunt Forged Edge

Blunt Forged Edge

May 15, 2012
    Hey Knife Crazied, who does modifications like that? By the way, nice pair you've got!

10. Knife Crazied

Knife Crazied

Apr 17, 2009
    Send me an email and I'll tell ya as its against the rules to do so here. He's done a many for me. He's actually just finished another today.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

11. L. Richard

L. Richard Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I tried carrying a SAK that had scissors and never, ever used them, so I only carry non-scissored SAKs. I use scissors at home for nose hairs, hangnails, and stuff, but I don't need them when I'm out and about. Of course, I keep my blades razor sharp. I can see where scissors might be useful if I let my blades get dull.

12. Blunt Forged Edge

Blunt Forged Edge

May 15, 2012
    Thanks! Will do when I'm ready to do so.

13. odd

odd

Mar 31, 2012
    It is also the most sheeple friendly of cutting tools. Instead of brandishing a scary dangerous machete/chainsaw/sword blade no matter how small, you hand them a the littlest set of itty bity cute scissors with which to do their sheeple task.

I doubt I would carry a SAK without scissors.

Night Rider likes this.
  14. OzarkCreekWalker

OzarkCreekWalker

Jul 25, 2011
    I carry a classic on my keys and have a leatherman in the car. Easy way to remove a thick layer off those bulky saks.

bazman likes this.
  15. manowar669

manowar669

Oct 1, 2002
    zip ties, that's a great reason to have scissors. Love the vic scissors.

allenC likes this.
  16. Blunt Forged Edge

Blunt Forged Edge

May 15, 2012
    That's right! Forgot about them "zip ties."

17. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    You don't need scissors, but they make certain jobs easier. I'm a big convert to SAK scissors.

18. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    You need SAK scissors because once you use them, you don't like to be without them. Scissors will do some jobs better than a blade, and some jobs a bade can't do. In a pinch, scissors can cut light wire, or trim a broken nail. It cuts coupons easier, and makes fine exact cuts. I'd rather leave the house without my pants than my little classic.

Carl.

19. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Knives are great tools however I'm starting to get over my knife bias by discovering how useful the little scissors on my Super Tinker and Leatherman Wave often are. I find that for most of my purposes, as others have mentioned here, that the scissors offer more control. The two cutting edges coming together in a more controlled way, combined with the fact that I can get into small places and don't need tension to cut things, the utility of the scissors is hard to deny.

allenC likes this.
  20. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    Scissors are not as important to me on SAKs. It´s nice when they are on them, but I don´t really need them so much. I really like my Spartans and my Soldier. I these SAKs (without scissors) because they have one less layer. So it´s more pocket friendly to me.

I own a Climber, that is on my desk at work, I do not EDC that one, because of the thickness.

There´s one thing, I can tell about the SAK scissors: They are built in a nice way and make all their cutting job while keeping the edge long. And as easy to resharpen as the blades.

Kind regards
    Andi