Victorinox Spartan - a SAK classic

I feel sure you can look at pictures at the online knife retailers. I have used and carried SAKs for over 20 years and prefer the simplier ones that are thinner in the pocket. I have a Spartan (black handle) that I got at Smoky Mt Knife Works when the Vic people were there. Actually built it myself and since I purchased another SAK that day, it was free.

The Spartan is a good one, but if you like a phillips instead of the corkscrew, then the Tinker is for you. Or add scissors and the hook, and you end up with the Climber. There are many flavors, though for me none is "perfect", which is probably why I keep buying them. The Classic SD, Compact and Explorer Plus are my favorites.

Ive got my spartan with me right now! Would be nice to have a dedicated phillips, but I find the can opener tip works good enough.

I don't got one. But this thread needs a picture of the knife in question, so I borrowed one from a BF dealer.

53151.jpg

I have a red, black and yellow Spartan. I'll try to get a group shot. Until then, enjoy this yellow Spartan. :)

spartanyellow.jpg

The spartan is one of my favorites, though I have preferred to carry its little brother the sportsman as of late.
Victorinox makes the spartan with hardwood scales that is very reasonably priced and quite beautiful, worth seeking out if you like wood handle scales.

I have used one some, nice edc sak. The two layer saks are a really nice balance between utility and ease of carry.
Jim

The Spartan is great, and I understand that it is the SAK most often used by MacGyver:D Whiloe the corkscrew may not be used a lot by most people, it is difficult to improvise a substitute when one is needed. Also, I am able to obtain the Tiny Screwdriver that fits inside the corkscrew. This small screwdriver fits the screws in my eyeglass frames and is very useful to me sometimes.
:cool:
With the Tiny Screwdriver, the Spartan becomes the "Myopic Bookworm Ultimate Survival Tool" - I need to patent this.:D

Last edited:
bboz.jpg

Mine rides with me everywhere on my keyring, infinitely useful! To be honest the toothpick probably sees the most use :D

Great thread. I visited my 88 year old grandpa Friday night. He has carried a red Victorinox Spartan as long as I can remember. I know it's at least 15 years old or more. It's scratched up and has great character.

I bet it is Victorinox's second best seller behind the "classic".

I have received 3 victorinox spartans over the years as gifts. The youngest is over 10 years old and the oldest is about 20 years old. Every one of them is still in use.

I no longer have a Spartan per se, but for about 11 years now I've had this Tourist, which is the 84mm version ...

I tell people, it's my lucky knife. It was in my pocket during the births of all three of my kids, plus during a couple successful job interviews, etc. Whenever I need a little dose of extra mojo, I make sure this one's in my pocket. To me it really may be the perfect "if I could only have one knife" knife. Very very pocketable, even in dress pants, and has all the tools you need for EDC. I use the corkscrew as often as possible :p and do use that little eyeglass screwdriver from time to time.

-- Mark

I have acquired and held onto four Spartans over the years, which makes it the SAK pattern that I have the most of behind the classic and its variants. I like the Spartan a lot and always keep one by my chair in the den that also comes along on camping trips and anytime I think I might need the caplifter and corkscrew, which is quite often it turns out. My preference for an edc SAK is the Tourist though (the slightly smaller version of the Spartan). I find it fits a little better in the pocket without sacrificing any of the tools. Unfortunately, I have gifted all of my Tourists away to friends in need of a knife and don't currently own one. You would be hard pressed in my opinion to find a better SAK than either the Spartan or Tourist. It has all of the tools that I need on a regular basis and remains small and pocketable. Also, as someone who wears glasses, the mini screwdriver that rides in the corkscrew is indispensable.

Now for some pictures:

The one on the left with the little screwdriver is my most carried. The Camouflage one was gift from a friend who toured the factory in Switzerland. I'm not sure how I ended up with the promotional one, and the anniversary edition I bought out of love for victorinox and that you don't see many models with the corkscrew on the shield side. Jack Black has one that he carries, but I've never seen the other side...If you are reading this Jack, please chime in on your Vic ;)

I call the Spartan my "drinking" sak. If I'm hanging with a hot chick and she has beer, or wine no problem. I got that covered. ;)

I have a couple, and a Pioneer. Most days there's a Spartan clipped in my pocket and my Peanut in the watch pocket. I had a Tinker. One issue with that Philips is it doesn't take much torque before you see the aluminum liners bend. Permanently. Not enough support mid handle.The tip of the can opener works well on many Philips screws. I use it to tighten pot handles, lids, cupboard doors. Can opener makes a great orange peeler btw. If you dont open wine bottles, the corkscrew unties shoelace knots. It'll remove old drywall anchors and turn that little screw driver into a t-handle version.

IMG_20180907_131818.jpg

Honestly the Victorinox Spartan is my most carried knife.

Here it is on a recent hike up the mountain.
7CF83CB6-A9F3-4841-B3D8-BABA811C3E32.jpeg

I carried it onto the roof when I was cutting back the overgrowing hibiscus on the side of my house.
EEE5D473-F14F-42E1-A644-CD56EA004712.jpeg

I think it is the perfect size and does most things I ever need it to do. I have to admit I never used the cork screw yet but at least it is there in case I ever need an emergency bottle of wine.

I used to carry a spartan all the time, but I only have a camper now. Its a spartan but with a saw added. I like it a lot. :) I carried it camping this weekend actually.

Back