victorinox - swissbianco 2011 anniversary silver alox soldier sak

swissbianco

hello,

today was an great sak day, the first run of the spl limited edition 2011 anniversary alox soldier did arrive!

first pics:

IMG_8328.jpg

IMG_8340.jpg

IMG_8329.jpg

IMG_8330.jpg

IMG_8331.jpg

IMG_8332.jpg

IMG_8337.jpg

IMG_8339.jpg

IMG_8336.jpg

IMG_8338.jpg

35 pcs where made for swissbianco and im sure there will be an different second run as i want keep up the alox soldier sak, the sak i got , like tousands other swiss military people, as i joined them back in 1990, swiss military police.

Looks great Rog! I guess these will be available through your newsletter when a new one comes out? Or are these spoken for already??

Sorry, not a complain but, they aren't real Soldiers, are they? as you know Soldiers have stamped the year on the main blade and a diferent swiss shield on the scale. I think they cannot be named soldiers (my humble opinion).

Jarguez66, welcome to the forum! No, these SAKs are not "real Soldiers". The production of "real Soldiers" was stopped in 2008, and to make sure people are aware of that, Victorinox issued the 5K-piece run at the end of 2008 with the laser engraving to that extent. The 2011 Vic./+B 50-year Anniversary Alox Soldier SAK uses the current Victorinox alox scales with the Soldier tool configuration. This SAK is not a replica of 1961 model either, which would have had to be all red with a small swiss cross, WK stamp, and hollow rivet.

in 2011, the 50. year jubilee of the 1961 soldier sak there is an update, the 2011 soldier version, for the couple next years the soldier sak will be like this version.

since 1961 there where x versions of the soldier sak be made. from different alox scales, colors, logo, stamps over blades with or without yearstamp, hollow or non hollow rivet and with or without bail, so there is only one feature that makes it an soldier sak - the tool combination. this was allways the same and there where only minor changes, say by the big screwdriver, be made over the years, basically an improovement of the stamping of that part. its now complete smooth.

so this 2011 soldier is absolute correct, the factory autorised one and nobody can say anything, if they do then cause lack of knowledge. do have an look on my photobucket, there are pics of the different soldier sak in my study collection and im sure havent all versions that has been made either, not jet ;)

the soldier sak is now only avaliable from swissbianco, that sak is not made anymore for others. thats the only sad part about it. we try to keep it up as long we can.

so this 2011 soldier is absolute correct, the factory autorised one and nobody can say anything, if they do then cause lack of knowledge

Sir, would you mind clarifying your statement as this "Soldier" seems to be a Pioneer with laser engraving and the keyring removed (it even has the engraving panel). I am just trying to learn because it seems that if Victorinox intended them to be the same, they would not have produced two different versions from the start. It has more attributes of the civilian Pioneer than the Soldier. And, is not Wenger producing something called the "Standard Issue?" Thanks

no, that is wrong and i will explain why.

the model 1961 alox sak did use a couple of different alox scales, logos, military stamps, colors as minor changes in manufacturing of tools over the years. i do collect these and have most all of them variations, they did eaven mix and match the yearstamp blades with other sak and soldier sak with no yearstamp, mainly for civillian sales, plus the versions wenger did make.

so what is basically make it an soldier is the combination of the tools, these where mainly the same, joust with smallest differences over the years as manufacturing process did "smooth out" as that did so, each soldier sak was no longer be induvidual handcheck by the arsenal (zeughaus) people and stamped with theyr mark, it was joust issued as it comes stright from the factory as quality standarts where so high.

as i told bevore, there where always changes in the scales. and now we do have another change in the scales, the swiss army cross scales are no longer be made by either victorinox or wenger so the standart victorinox alox scales are be used from now, 2011, on. the soldier tools are the same as bevore, the yearstamp did stop 2008 and from now on we try to laserengrave an yeastamp on the tang. we can not stamp that anymore since back then, it would be needed to do 1000s like that and keep in mind this 2011 soldier is only made for swissbianco so fare, to keep up the swiss army tradition, swiss soldiers like myself do not like the pioneer with its splitring.

the next run of this limited edition 2011 soldier will be in red color, all over red.

hope that clears it up

+B

Yes, thank you. Great explanation. I love the tool combination. I carried a US Army camp knife for many years which has the same combination and it was "supposed" to be beefier than the Vic Soldier but the back spring broke for almost no reason!!

in all the years i did never saw an snapped 93mm alox sak spring as best i remember. i did saw and have quiet an number of older carbon steel soldier sak with snapped springs, they did not snap on me so its hard to tell what the others did with them, i think they did leave open 2 tools at once, each side of the spring, that did overuse the spring so it snapped. these sak where done around ww2, less good material around may count in too.

for foreign made copys do not expect an great quality, usually its 99% trown away money. i have an couple for my collection as samples, they ever get used, all are inferior.

+B

Back