Victorinox - SwissBianco damascus sak

Discussion in 'SwissBianco' started by swissbianco, May 1, 2010.

1. swissbianco

swissbianco Moderator Moderator

May 28, 2005
    hello,

another collaboration, the first one, who started it all is the damascus blade sak, i dreamed about this since i learned blacksmith in swiss way to long ago but had no chance to make it happen until i started making knives.

this was an long time project, it did take over 10 years to complete, now the victorinox damascus sak is in the stores of switzerland and soon in usa too.

my thanks go to mr elsener and his great people in ibach and per billgren from damasteel, without them it would not be possible. herzlichen dank!

this limited edition sak, total 2010 pcs, is in an nice woodbox with an high quality print inside. its an black alox scaled 91mm pioneer with 2010 engraved on the engravingplate and the main blade is made out of damasteel, an swedish high tech made stainless powdermetalurgic pattern welded (damascus) steel heattreated to hrc 60.

it not only looks unique but also outperform any other sak blade so fare avaliable in an sak, this only will change as the crucible steel bladed oht will be avaliable but thats another story.

detail infos about the story are here: http://www.inmentis.com/SwissBianco/Articles/SwissBianco-Damascus-Pioneer.htm

videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNI0hTaXnZI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg3ziDBs7Gg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dauxa3f3RZM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] together with protos

[​IMG]

[​IMG] with 2007 proto

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

+B

2. TyMathews

TyMathews

Sep 4, 2006
    I really, really like these.

-Tye

3. LMT66

LMT66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Very nice!

4. babakanoosh45

babakanoosh45

Oct 6, 2006
    I'm dreaming right? Those are perfect! ;)

5. MattWRog

MattWRog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2005
    I remember reading about these in 2007, is there an ETA for getting our hands on them yet?

6. ufox9al

ufox9al Slacker at large Moderator

Jun 28, 2007
    Apparently, they are already sold out in Switzerland, but, hopefully, North American dealers will get some in the next few weeks.

7. molly's survival

molly's survival Banned BANNED

Aug 28, 2009
    I'll take it :D

beautiful pioneers

8. swissbianco

May 28, 2005
    there will be only an small number for usa.

but we, victorinox and swissbianco did climb the numbers up, from first say 300 then to 700 then now ist 2010 pcs! thats great and make me absolute happy! if we did only one or 300, way to little people could enjoy them!

for 2011 there is an 99% sure chance that there will be another run of an different model etc made, all details are secret like my swiss bank account :)

as im back in usa and the shop is set up again, after the burglary mess, then i work on make one hand sak with damascus blades, have to talk again with robert eggerling at the blade show. will update and post!

9. texastonydobbs

texastonydobbs

May 25, 2007
    Those are sweet looking

10. manowar669

manowar669

Oct 1, 2002
    WOW!! Please tell us when these are available .

11. TCRooster

TCRooster

Feb 1, 2003
    Very nice! I would snap one up if I get the chance.

12. Kublai

Kublai Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Looks great. What is the MRSP on these?

13. ToolMonger

ToolMonger

May 9, 2010
    CHF 200

Essentially in Switzerland they are listed within 5% of that.

14. swissbianco

May 28, 2005
    the not for sale prototypes i will bring to the blade show, im at the gatco-timberline booth there and from time to time i assembly an sak by hand.

15. ToolMonger

ToolMonger

May 9, 2010
    I've been meaning to ask for a while; what are those scales on the 111mm Damascus? They look to be Plus-Scales; what's the storry behind those?

16. swissbianco

May 28, 2005
    the blue oht damascus scales where selected by mr elsener himself, he wanted to put on sompthing special on that sak, it was an long time in ibach until i got that back assembled.
    the scales are made for garand, an german based tool company and ferature an pen and pin slot. it was an spl order run.

regarding the damascus sak, the true story of its developement is here: http://www.inmentis.com/SwissBianco

also regarding the used steel on that sak, damascus steel is an pattern welded material made of at least 2 kind of materials, to make it possible see the pattern after etch. there where different variants of it made over the time and still experimenting is going on. the damasteel damascus steel version was choosen as its stainless steel and high quality regarding its edge and durability of edgeholding and cause its close by made in sweden by friends, its true damascus pattern welded steel - period.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
  17. ToolMonger

ToolMonger

May 9, 2010
    So I guess there is no way to get a set of those 111mm scales? Very nice idea.

The Damasteel was a very fine choice; those guys there are awesome!

The Damascus Pioneer project was a 100% success! Even non-knife people like it; the black scales were the perfect choice. It has an artistic beauty and elegance... and it cuts!

and... Stainless is just so perfect... it's got history.... but its not locked in the past. This is state-of-the-art knife steel!

18. swissbianco

May 28, 2005
    the first official pictures from victorinox:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. burddogg

burddogg

Jul 9, 2008
    Please don't ever make a Damascus Farmer in Orange Alox ;)

Great looking tool. Thanks Roger

20. Dagon

Dagon

Nov 12, 2007
    I received mine. It is absolutely as wonderful as I hoped. I have several high end knives yet I carry the alox Soldier most because (a) it is accepted in an office environment and (b) it is versatile and it performs well.
    This new version makes it really chic.
    If I would have one wish to make it even more desirable, that would have been handle scales in titanium or in carbon fiber.