Victorinox - SwissBianco Firesteel SAK

swissbianco

hello,

another special sak is ouer firesteel farmer, it did start an couple years ago with an idea of mr brunner, an well known swiss knifecollector and expert for old fashion firemaking. he wanted to design an practical tool for make fire coupled with the swiss army knife, the soldier sak and he contacted mr fischlin regarding make the needed parts and the first # or firesteel sak where born.

we did meet on one of mr brunners knifeexpo and he was exited to have the firesteel sak in an orange color style sak so its easy to find if dropped in the woods. since i like the saw of the farmer we added that layer to the firesteel. unfortunally mr brunner did pass away prior the first orange sak was made, we keep his design up in remembering of this great swiss eidgenosse!

so how it works? on the backside of the sak is an permanently attatched, rounded and feeling well in the hand pcs or hard carbon steel. you use an tinder bundel, if possible spl fire fungus plus an flint and strike the steel part with it so the developing sparks land on the tinder. damon eggert and i did test it out several times and made an video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8lgQ47pu1g

pics:

brunnerknifeexpo3.jpg
mr brunner and his firesteel soldier sak

brunnerfiremakingsak2.jpg

step0.jpg

firesteelfarmer6.jpg

IMG_6186.jpg

IMG_6189.jpg

IMG_6193.jpg

IMG_6196.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

damon eggert by test an firesteel clip farmer sak

+B

Is a new run of these currently being made or are you taking orders for them?

I'm not real clear on how we purchase your products. I see the news letter anounces what is in the works. Do we then go thru one of the dealers shown on the news letter page or direct from you?

we try to keep them in stock, an email is best to contact me, theres also an contact form on my website. cause travel next week there is an gap.

damon eggert did today another video of that sak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKSxvJeaVFo

we hope we can make another video on how to gather and make the tinder needed, from bark etc, found in the forest.

We will post a better video soon, this video was shot on a very windy day, but it shows how the firesteel works despite the wind.

With very little wind, this can be a FAST fire starting tool.

Damon

Anyone can start a fire with flint and steel it look like some little kid just playing in the back yard.Sorry to hear that you can't make it to the Blade Show.I would be interested in the firesteel Farmer when thing get caught up.
Thanks,
Michael Wiesner

i looking for your feedback on this idea:

if we do the firesteel sak in 91mm, the standart size victorinox sak, we have this benefits:

- more possible versions, way more tools avaliable for that size
- some versions will be lighter
- assembly in usa = more flexible for possible orders
- stayglow and plus scales possible

worst case we end up with an new unusual sak model :)

Bushcrafter with firesteel would be great. Could see a stayglow lumberjack plus with firesteel in my collection as well.

A 91 firesteel would be nice Roger. I love my orange firesteel farmer. Feels heavy in the hand and is built like a tank. Great tool! Now, to find some flint...

Got mine yesterday and will be putting it to work this weekend camping with the Cub Scouts.

SwBiancoSAK_03.jpg

SwBiancoSAK_02.jpg

SwBiancoSAK_01.jpg

Thanks again for the speedy turn-around Roger. Look for some videos on Monday. :D

B

I got the chance to use it this weekend at the Scout Campout but didn't manage to grab any pics or video like I had hoped. The schedule was tight!

The striker works really, really well and made me look good when I explained how the flint and steel method worked and then was able to demonstrate by throwing sparks into my charcloth on the first strike.

I think the parents were as impressed as the boys were and I got lots of, "Where can I get one of those?" type questions. Roger, I hope you're ready 'cause I sent them all your way. :D

B

Back