1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victorinox Tinker and Spartan appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by VicAlox74, Nov 11, 2018.

1. VicAlox74

VicAlox74

Nov 4, 2018
    Who here really likes and carries either?

2. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I usually carry a Spartan in my left cargo pocket along with an Executive in my RF pocket. Sometimes I switch out the Spartan for my Pioneer, but more often than not it's the Spartan. It feels a bit more comfortable in the pocket for me, even though the Pioneer is more durable.

For around 10 years, from the 1980s to the 90s, an older version of the Spartan (sans toothpick and tweezers) was my sole carry knife when I lived overseas in Taiwan. Even after I returned to the States, it was still the only knife I carried for several more years, and did pretty much anything knife-related I needed it for.

In the late '90s/ early 2K, I used a Tinker on and off, but found that I prefer the Spartan's corkscrew over the Tinker's back-mounted Phillips. I use the corkscrew for holding my eyeglass screwdriver, and also for loosening overly-tight knots. And I use the small screwdriver on the can opener for many Phillips screws. Even though the Spartan I'm carrying now is a more recent one, it still feels like an old friend. I still have that older one, and although it's a bit scarred up, it's still fully functional, but I've retired it for sentimental reasons.

Jim

mnblade and Grateful like this.
  3. VicAlox74

VicAlox74

Nov 4, 2018
    The old Spartan was called the Standard as I've read.

James Y likes this.
  4. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Soo.. I got a Small tinker last week.. It is in my rfp as I type.. But this past weekend I was using my shop vac that I had previously a few yrs back replaced the plug on.. Vac quit and instead of going to my garage to get a screwdriver I reached into my pocket and got out my Tinker.. Had the plug connections tightened and the vac going post haste!! Then a little later I noticed that my towel rack in the bath was a little wonky and the Tinker got that fixed!! So I am liking it ALOT!!! John

mnblade and Grateful like this.
  5. VicAlox74

VicAlox74

Nov 4, 2018
    I want to get a small tinker as well.

jmh33 likes this.
  6. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    I go easily go the rest of my days with only my 84mm Spartan (AKA the Tourist).

jmh33 likes this.
  7. Steve6387

Steve6387

Jul 1, 2013
    I've been carrying a Spartan for a couple of years now and it's a super functional EDC for me and my lifestyle.
    Of course the large blade sees the most use, but I use all of the tools here and there and there. Love it.

8. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    It seems like I've had a Spartan, Camper, or Waiter in my pocket since the 1960s. Now I want this model.

[​IMG]

Grateful and dc50 like this.
  9. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    BD8CB4D1-D93E-48FC-B74E-76BB9B645EF2.jpeg 35CE5E57-3D9A-4560-BBFB-84FFE6D0D125.jpeg 96225F3E-72E0-423B-8473-6EB21333EE02.jpeg 226614E7-2D6A-481E-93F8-3B7BBE9BBA21.jpeg I had a skeletonized Tinker and plain Waiter with saw. I liked the Waiter more than the Tinker, so I swapped the scales.

dc50 and jmh33 like this.
  10. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    I like the Spartan but prefer the Tourist as it sits in the pocket better. I also have a Climber close by as I find the scissors very useful.

mnblade likes this.
  11. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I carry a white Spartan quite frequently. It is a great EDC. I must admit I have never used the corkscrew yet, but I do occasionally drink wine so it may save me one day.

12. Etna

Etna

Jun 17, 2015
    Super Tinker user here.

Kicked out all my modern folders as the sole EDC since it was acquired.

Do I like it? Not really. SAKs look ugly compared to any modern folder.

Is it useful? Defi-frikkin'-nitely. Screwdriver and scissors see the most use, followed by the blades.

13. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    My favorite is the recruit, but I do quite love my tinker.

The awl and Philips driver have come in handy, the awl is great for de-burring PVC pipe.
    [​IMG]

jmh33 likes this.
  14. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    073F90FD-FF5C-4FE0-9C8E-939D68A13C57.jpeg No experience with the Spartan yet, but recently won a Tinker in a GAW (from @JTB_5 )and love it. Perfect size. Love especially the large spear blade and the cap lifter. And you never know when you're going to need a screwdriver or tweezers.

Grateful, Hickory n steel and jmh33 like this.
  15. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    I like em both, but don't carry them unless I also am carrying a Classic. Can't go without scissors. The extra layer of the Super Tinker or Climber is totally worth it.