Victorinox

Junk drawer? How about my left front pocket (spares sit on a shelf with keys and other important things).

Junk drawer?

Yeah, reading that part made me cringe - there's nothing junk about Victorinox SAKs.

Most people that carry a Sebenza could do everything they need to with a SAK costing 1/20th as much. Most people that don't carry a knife would be so much better prepared if they carried a SAK on them. If I had my way it would be illegal to leave the house (for adults at least) without a SAK at a minimum - there are way too many people walking around poorly equipped for what the day may throw at them.

There was even a story in the news (mentioned on these forums a while ago) where a woman died due to a scarf caught in an escalator - those that tried to help had no way to cut the scarf, if only one of them had a SAK that tragic event could have had a happy ending. Had any members of this forum been walking through that mall at the right time the unfortunate woman would be alive today and that forum member would have a wonderful story for us. This makes me stop and think about being prepared, not only so I can cope better with whatever situation that I'm in, but also so that I could help out another person if the need arose.

How good would you feel if something that you were carrying on you allowed you to save another human beings life?

I dont think they are junk at all. Just an observation of mine that mostly the people I know (at least the non knife people) do indeed have one sitting in a junk drawer. Definitely belongs in a pocket though.

Life's to short for junk drawers.
IMG_0695.jpg
[/IMG]

As many others, my first SAK was somehow my initiation to knives and blades. It's a Spartan (I bought it when I was 13) and still love it and carry it. Lately I got an Alox Pioneer Range (the "lonesome swiss blade" as a friend calls it) and I do like the aluminium handle. I have given away other SAK's as gifts, and all have been highly appreciated.
Recently, I discovered the One Hand Trekker which apparently is exactly what I ever wished for in terms of outdoor EDC knife/multitool...seems like the perfect SAK for my needs so I'm buying one (even tho apparently it's not sold here in Europe - not with the plain edge blade - so I will have to get it in the US).

My first SAK was a Victorinox Classic from about the early 80s. Still have it. Few years later was gifted a red Pioneer. That was it til about the mid 90s when I ended up with a Swisschamp and then an Explorer. Carried the classic almost always,the others as the situation dictated. I actually lost the Swisschamp during a move back in about 2004. Oddly enough it turned up in a box of stuff that was put away, couple years later. It became my EDC. Ive managed to accumulate more of them, Swisschamps, Farmers,Pioneers,Soldiers,Classics,etc. Now I have a fishing tackle box full. Happily my wife thinks they are cool,maybe because they are not very expensive. Guess thats why its ok when I add a new one every once in a while. Pound for pound,dollar for dollar, they are excellent tools.

2 SwissChamps (Red, Cobalt)
SwissChamp XLT (Ruby Red)
WorkChamp (Red)
Cybertool 34 (Sapphire Blue)
Cybertool Lite (Ruby Red)
2 Compacts (Sapphire Blue)
Farmer Alox (Blue)
Classic Alox (Red)
MoneyClip Alox (Black)
Last Run Soldier Alox (Silver)
Fieldmaster (Sapphire Blue)
Climber (Cobalt)
Explorer (Sapphire Blue)
SwissTool Spirit RT

And they're not in a junk drawer; that's for the jillions of holsters that I've gone through :)

I bought the "camping" model 20 years ago and I still have it. I now carry a super tinker everyday for 2 years and I use it almost everyday ... :thumbup:

Dr. Boom: That Vic with wooden handles should be interesting; tell us more. The very first Soldier had wooden handles, 1891, but not many model have had wood in the last 30 years or so. I have many more Vic's than I care to mention; I started using them in c. 1965; and started collecting in c. 1982.

I believe it's a classic. Blade and file on one side and scissors on the other? It's very nice, I almost feel bad about putting it on my keys where I know it's gonna get thumped on and used a bit but what's the point in having a knife if you can't use it right?

Just bought a huntsman today. $30 bucks for a knife that has a saw and scissors and is not too big in the pocket..... Yeah I am happy with that.

I have:

-Camper
-Super Tinker
-Swisstool
-Swisschamp
-Sport Ratchet
-Centurion
-Have also had a bunch of classics, gave my brother a swisschamp and got my girlfriend an alox classic sd.

Swiss Champ,Huntsman,Climber,Tinker,Classic,Rambler,Alox Farmer,Alox Pioneer Harvester,and 2 Alox Soldiers.Yessir,I like my SAKs just a little.I ALWAYS have a SAK on my belt or in my pocket,and the 2 little ones always ride on my keychain.

I've had my Camper for @ 30 yrs. It was my edc for many of those. I recently repaired it by replacing the spring on the scissors and grinding the small blade because I broke the tip off.

I think the SAK especially in its alox form is the best knife you can buy for the price today, bar none.
I've well over a hundred so I put my money where my mouth is.
I've a Huntsman that served me well for over 30 years, now retired, only because I don't want to lose it.
If I could own only one knife it would be a SAK.

I carry the red alox pioneer daily and it gets used on average 20 times a day. I use the slotted driver and the phillips on the can opener and the main blade most often. I rarely use the awl but I'm sure one day I will. To think that these knives are produced in the 100,000 a day is astonishing. Not that so many are made but how they can make such consistently excellent knives in such quantity. Saks are excellent knives and in my opinion are the best production knife for the money in the world.

SAKs were actually my first real introduction to the knife world. I went to Europe in the summer of 2010 with my family, and aside from the whole trip being awesome, we made a stop at Lucerne Switerzland. When we got there, I checked out the Bucherer Watch store, and they suprisingly had a Victorinox store on the top floor. I checked them out, and turns out they could engrave my name on a SAK for about 5 dollars. My sister ended up with a white scale Classic with her name on it, and I ended up with a white scale SwissChamp with my name on it, and 8 of my close friends back home got white Classics with their names on it :D. I'm glad I dropped the money for the SwissChamp, because even though I don't really use it, it is a reminder to some great memories and is a very viable tool if I ever need it.

After that, I don't go anywhere without a Tinker or Super Tinker on me. Like a lot of people have mentioned, SAKs are probably the best bang for your buck in the knife world.

Also, as an engineering college student, the tools come in handy. The screwdrivers are always good, the knife is always useful for opening things, and the can opener is great for opening cheap soup cans, when I've blown too much food money on other things (knives, girls, alcohol :D)

Back