Victornox Executive vs. Leatherman Micra

I own both. I use both. I like both.

My favorite, however, is the Vic MiniChamp, and I have room for just one more small minitool on my person. I'm sure you all have your favorite minitools.

If you had to choose between the Executive and the Micra, which one would you pick, and why?

Well, if you've already got the MiniChamp, I'd take the Micra.

Honestly, I'd say the MiniChamp is plenty though. I love mine! :D

The Executive has become one of my favorite small SAKs.
I'll probably never buy another Leatherman product. I never use the ones I have. My Victorinox tools work much better for me. YMMV.

Paul

PWork said:
The Executive has become one of my favorite small SAKs.
I'll probably never buy another Leatherman product. I never use the ones I have. My Victorinox tools work much better for me.

Paul

The Executive's orange peeler/screwdriver makes a great microprybar. And the file is very handy, too. I wish Victorinox would make an Alox version.

Which Leatherman tools do you have? If a task is more delicate, perhaps involving a computer or DVD player, I'll use my Wave. If I'm tackling the plumbing, I reach for my SwissTool R/S.

I have seen alox versions as advertizing knives. They have also made a SS handled version known as the Director. I don't know if either is in current production, but www.swiss-knife.com still lists the Director.

I have Leatherman's Side-Clip, Wave, and Squirt P-4, and had a Micra. I'm not impressed with any of them.

Paul

PWork said:
I have seen alox versions as advertizing knives. They have also made a SS handled version known as the Director. I don't know if either is in current production, but www.swiss-knife.com still lists the Director.

You are correct, sir. Thank you.

PWork said:
I have Leatherman's Side-Clip, Wave, and Squirt P-4, and had a Micra. I'm not impressed with any of them.

Forgive me, but here's where I nitpick. What about these tools failed to impress you. The fit and finish? Sharpness/cutting ability? The overall quality? The number of foldout implements or their usefulness? I have a Wave and a SwissTool R/S myself, and the SwissTool far outpaces the Wave in terms of fit, finish, and quality, in my opinion.

PWork said:

I have discovered the big drawback to this knife: No keyring. For some reason, the Alox SAKs do not have keyrings. For me, keyrings are vital. They facilitate attachment to all sorts of gear. Not having a keyring is a showkiller.

cardimon said:
I have discovered the big drawback to this knife: No keyring. For some reason, the Alox SAKs do not have keyrings.

Many Alox SAKs do have keyrings. Some otherwise identical models are available with and without (like the Soldier/Pioneer). You can use the Victorinox Selector Tool to quickly see which alox models are available with key ring attachments. (Just select "Scale Material: Alox" under the Specs tab and "Key Ring" under the Misc tab.)

--Bob Q

bquinlan said:
Many Alox SAKs do have keyrings. Some otherwise identical models are available with and without (like the Soldier/Pioneer). You can use the Victorinox Selector Tool to quickly see which alox models are available with key ring attachments. (Just select "Scale Material: Alox" under the Specs tab and "Key Ring" under the Misc tab.)

--Bob Q

Thanks, Bob

I'd choose the Executive for its ultra-pocketability. Plus, it has a toothpick, which I use regularly.

However, I'm not very happy with the Executive's nail file (unless they've changed it in the past couple years) - way to aggressive a file for my nails. And it doesn't have a bottle opener. But the ease of carry makes all the difference to me.

cardimon said:
Forgive me, but here's where I nitpick. What about these tools failed to impress you. The fit and finish? Sharpness/cutting ability? The overall quality? The number of foldout implements or their usefulness? I have a Wave and a SwissTool R/S myself, and the SwissTool far outpaces the Wave in terms of fit, finish, and quality, in my opinion.

Fit, finish, edge holding, cutting ability, weak "back springs", amount of "wobble".....I'm not impressed in the least. :barf:

I have 2 Swiss Tool RSs, and plan on picking up a Swiss Tool Spirit eventually. :D

Paul

I've had an "executive" sak for many years - maybe 40 ? and carried it all the time - recently I picked up a Leatherman Micra and have begun using it .. ok so here's what I don't like about it - you have to open the micra to access the tools - the executive you do not! - the tools are a wash except the fine screw driver on the Micra - I ususally wind up carrying both!
Peace and Blessings
Revvie!

Back