VIDEO: How to Build a Yukon Style Wood Burning Stove/Oven

My previous experiments with building wood burning stoves out of mini-kegs led to some interesting discoveries. When I started the process I had no experience working with metal. All I have are simple hand tools, but it is all you need to build a pretty nice wood burning stove.

This model is 18 inches deep and burns full sized firewood. I designed it to be able to heat a small cabin, wall tent or teepee. I included an internal baffle to increase the efficiency of the burn and heat usage. It has a 10 inch by 10 inch flat surface for cooking and a 7X7X11 inch built in oven. The oven box is completely airtight and separated from smoke/flames so that your food won't take on a nasty flavor.

It is constructed from 22 and 26 gauge sheet metal. The legs are angle iron. Steel rivets are used to hold things together. I do not use hinges.
IMG_1102.jpg

I use the stokehole cover/draft can system featured in my other videos on stove building.
IMG_1106.jpg

The oven is heated by routing the smoke efficiently before it exits the stove.
ovencover.jpg

Here is a video featuring it in action along with the build.
[video=youtube;d0SjryGtYII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0SjryGtYII[/video]

Nice work! Glad you made it long enough to get a16' chunk in. I made a small stove out of a 2 and a half gal. thompsons water seal can thinkingit would be nice and compact; it was; however, one could not get enough of a coal bed to last any length of time or big enough pieces to make it worthwhile. I did learn from it though.:)

There is a guy at our yearly sportsman rendevouz that makes nice ones out of 20 and 40lb propane canisters with all the trimmings, heavier than yours but absolutely bomb proof.

Nice work.

Thanks for watching. I think I have wood burning stove/oven nailed at least for my current applications. My wife has requested a wood burning/gas burning pizza oven. Researching, but it might have to wait a while. I have the Amazon coming up as well as NUMEROUS get togethers (Hard Woodsman, etc.) so I'm busy. Maybe next winter I'll build a pizza oven.

Why don't you guys invite me to stuff during the winter? April on I'm booked every weekend. October? Nothing.

Great video, thanks for taking the time to document each step and show failings as well as success and the reasoning behind decisions you make. Plenty of food for thought for me and what I can try in my shed, cheers.

Back