[Video Review] Silat Concepts (with Joseph Simonet)

I had heard so many bad things about Simonet on the internet - him claiming to have learnt Serak without having touched it, him having learn Silat but just Tongkat, etc. -
that I never thought of it anymore until a friend gave it as a gift to me. And I have to say I was positively impressed.

Simonet says he learned Tongkat Silat and Serak and that he is going to show his interpretation of Serak.

Tape 1

Tape 1 covers Jurus 1 - 6, each shown several times.
Each is shown at different speed, some times also the left side is shown, some times you get to see the Juru
from another view, e.g. over the shoulder shot.
What I liked especially that Simonet did the Jurus very cleanly and then showed them with some attitude.
He stressed that attitude is important. I think it's worth noting that when he did the Jurus with some attitude his footwork looked
quite similar to a drop step.
After a Juru is shown Simonet break it down and shows the application of each movement with a partner.
I really liked him showing the versaitility of each movement.
With two or three techniques he also shows weapon applications of the movement (stick, knife).
Simonet also explains the concept of forward pressure and it's importance, distance, brutality.
At the end of the tape Simonet says that Jurus are also just concepts but the message is to kick someone's ass.

Tape 2

Tape 2 starts with a short review of the six Jurus.
Simonet then explains the inside and the outside, the upper and the lower line, weak points of stances.
Strengthening and flexibility exercises are next.
Footwork (langkas; well explained with a pattern on the floor), sweeps, foot traps, another review of the six Jurus in combination with footwork, and takedowns are also on tape two.
Simonet explains that it's important to follow up with techniques when the opponent is on the ground, that waiting for an attack, countering, waiting, countering is bad.
You should counter, go in and counterattack.
At the end of tape 2 Simonet asks the viewer to incorporate the material into one's own system to improve oneself as a fighter.
Then there is a short sequence about Simonet's martial art career.

I liked this tapes a lot. They instruction is clear, versatility of techniques is shown, forward pressure, attitude.
What I didn't like was some of the footwork which included jumping.

This material can be easily integrated into a PUC structure (there are some punches yes, but just open your hands and it works as well), goes well with Kelly Worden's stuff
(e.g. Ultimate Streetfighter) and can also very well stand on its own. Amen.

Available from www.kifightingconcepts.com or www.paladin-press.com

I liked these tapes as well. You can see that Simonet has a good command of body mechanics, especially when delivering the elbows and such. He has good torque as well as speed. Nice stuff.....RDT

Back