Vietnam Vets

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by j williams, Jan 9, 2010.

1. vector001

vector001

Aug 4, 2007
    my dad was in VN for five years in country over a ten year period.

a lot of his SF and aviation friends took care of me and taught me while he was off on deployments. - it was a real community. pop got on th eplane and flew off and POW! there was a chief or captain or someone in uniform that was ther immediately to grab me by the collar and teach me how to poach gators, or whatever was on the Company Commander's time that day... good times for a brat.

when i was in, i always tried to dote on kids whose dads were away.

VN vets might not get alot of credit, but they set the standard for a lot of virtuous behavior - humility and sacrifice are just a few of many.

some of what those old guys taught me made time in the jungle when it was my time to serve a lot easier for me, and it made much better Marines than i was accept me a lot sooner than i rated.

none of them should ever have to pay for dinner, if ya ask me.

vec

2. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. oldman/Marty

oldman/Marty

Apr 23, 2006
    Another Vietnam Vet chimimg in here. !966-67, 196th Lt Infantry Brigade & 25th Division.
    Oldman/Marty Simon

4. Mack

Mack Expert Ultracrepidarian Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Thank you gentlemen for your service. I've read all the books and had several friends that were there. I don't know how you did it but I sure appreciate what you did.

5. xbxb

xbxb Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Thanks very much for the kind thoughts everyone. It's really appreciated. You are all very nice. Respectfully xbxb

6. j williams

j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    I didnt know you were there Marty.... Thanks for your service, and for making it back home to teach all those you teach. I hope to meet you in the coming year. :thumbup: Welcome Home.

You are very welcome. Thank you for chiming in:thumbup: Welcome home.

7. rayban

rayban

Apr 14, 2007
    Been to The Wall in DC and to a traveling one when it came through Michigan....both very moving experiences. Both times I found the names of budz I served with or went to high school with......there's always tears for them still.
    I was in Phu Bi, June 69-70....and just two weeks ago I met a Marine who had been in Hue, just up the road a bit. He was part of that big battle there in '68 and had several pictures on his computer. More chills and near tears.
    That stuff never leaves you.
    Semper Fi.

8. j williams

j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    Great story Vec. :thumbup: I was the same way when I was in the Army. Always trying to take care of the kids whose dads were on deployment. Its what we do eh? :)

9. j williams

j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    Thank you Rayban, and welcome home bro. :thumbup:

Youre right.....that wall is very moving.

10. plumberroy

plumberroy Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2007
    all here that served or are serving now thank you. I have been to the moving wall twice. Anyone that walks along that wall , reads the names, and does't have tears in there eyes . Does't deserve to call themselves Americans
    Roy

11. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    Great post Jake!

Thank you to all the Veterans. It is humbling to know that I/we are posting among heroes on this site. God Bless

12. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    For the men who went to Nam and came home unappreciated,many,many thanks!!!

13. akula83

akula83

Aug 19, 2008
    Vietnam Vets never got their just praise and recognition when they came home for the most part. We as Americans owe them greatly for their sacrifices and service in such a turbulent time.

14. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    I was a couple of years to young, graduated in 75. I have a cousin who was a Green Beret. He lost a leg there , stepped on a mine. We did a lot of fishing and camping together, sometimes after a few beers hed talk about it. Said he had a Bowie knife and use to crawl in those tunnels. One time he said he cut a mans throat. Pretty gruesome stuff.

I have an uncle who in Nam, had a mine blow up in his hand , losing all his fingers.

Another uncle got blew up by a mine in basic training, that was during korea. Didnt kill him but he was never right afterwards. He later commited suicide.

I dont like mines.

I have so much respect for all the veterans.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  15. jw2n

jw2n

Sep 22, 2009
    I spent 26 years in the Army. My younger brother spent six years. I have a half-dozen Uncles and Cousins who were in Vietnam. My father was in Korea. His older brother was in the Army Air Corps in WWII. Both of my grandfathers were in WWI. One was in an Observation Derigible Regiment in Europe. The other was a Supply Seargeant in France. One of my Great Grandfathers was in a unit from Mass, during the Civil War. My father recently found a letter that revealed that my great-great grandfather and a second son served in the same unit from Mass. My second oldest son may attend West Point. Hell of a legacy, and none of it planned.

16. Reynaldo Garza

Reynaldo Garza

Jul 12, 2009
    I for one of many vietnam vets came back as udtjim said, I got married after getting back 3 years after deros or ets dec.69, 2 tours in nam. Dear John letter in 67-68 tet offensive from my high school girl. Had to deal with anger and had to fight to keep comrades alive and myself. Too many sacrifices but, it was worth it to volunteer for the army 3yrs.as a grunt, ammo hauler driver, doorgunner no regrets just guilt for all my friends that didn't make it back. Welcome my brothers in arms, walk the walk and talk the talk, it don't mean nothing, watch my back. God BLess Us All. [email protected] Garza

17. JTR357

JTR357 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2007
    One day a man was sent to a place called Vietnam
    Had gotten the call from uncle Sam
    He told his wife and kids don't worry I'll be back
    stuffed all his clothes in an old torn sack
    As he boarded the plane to go to war
    he had no Idea what in the hell he was fighting for
    as he got to his platoon #113
    Dense jungle was all that he had seen
    And to that young boy war was just a game
    But after the first year, he could hardly remember his name
    After seven years of fighting
    He'd seen all his buddies die
    He just sat down in the Jungle
    and began to cry
    They walked day and night, wherever they could roam
    Then one day they got the call, that they were going home
    He told them he'd been in Vietnam, they asked what for
    Nobody cared that he had been at war
    As he got older, looked at his past and sighed
    At the age of eighty that once young man died
    Eight years of fighting was all the he could bare
    And when he returned home, realized his own country didn't care

By; Jay Nemeth​

To all you vets,Thank You

18. hawkhead

hawkhead

Aug 13, 2008
    Many thanks to those of you who do us the honor of remembering our time in S.E Asia. I spent two tours, over a two and a half year period '66-'68. To all of my Brother Vietnam Vets, may I say Welcome Home. We can still be counted on to do what's necessary when the time comes.

19. j williams

j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    Man....I bet that letter was a hard thing to swallow. Welcome Home. Thank you for your service.

Welcome home. I have no doubts that you guys can do whats neccisary. :thumbup:

20. j williams

j williams

Nov 14, 2005

This country owes your families alot. Military service is a long tradition in my family as well. Traced our history way back to the reletives serving in the Revaloutionary War, to Civil War, to WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam. all the way to my time in the Cav. Im the only one in my generation to have served in the Military. I am proud that the tradition didnt die off with me, and look forward to the day one of my sons laces up his boots.