views on the balisong

I just wanted to know how all the makers look upon balisongs?
I know there are a lot of makers who won't go near them when it comes to making them, but I just wanted to see some different views on the subject from all the makers here.
I'm attempting to make one right now.

I love a good bali, and I think that the law is some what confused...

I have an older blade mag with a couple made by Paul Jarvis, and they are nothing short of amazing. :eek:

also if anyone has some links to more of this makers blades, could you please post them.
TIA
Steve.

Show me a representative picture of one, please. I don't know anything about them. - honest.

RL

I love balis! I would probably never be able to make one tho :grumpy:
Ill just have to stick with making lots of big knives! :p :footinmou

Rlinger : they are like folders with a handle on each side of the blade. you can doo cool tricks with them :cool: they are lots of fun

Rodger, watch a bad movie on TV and when you see th bad guy pull out a folder and swing it open with about 400 swings, spins and jerks, he has a Bali.

It's the same basic design as a Leather man except it has a blade where the needle nose pliers are!

They are also known as a Butterfly Knife. This causes some misunderstandings in the law. Here in Va. the idiots in the General assembly decided that Butterfly swords were dangerous and shouldn't be carried concealed. They included "Butterfly Knife" In the statute.

Most cops here have trouble spelling their names and couldn't conceive of a "Butterfly Sword" so the Bali's are illegal in their Tiny little minds.

bali1.jpg

BTW...these are ButterFly Swords:

images

I know that Ohio specifically says manufacturing any spring operated or assisted knife is illegal (kershaw speedsafes seem to be legal though), I can't remember about gravity operated knives. Anyhow, balisongs fall into the gravity operated knife section which makes them illegal to carry under Ohio law. I'd really like one to play with. Haven't had the time to make one to begin with, but first I'd have to look into legal issues (at least before I ever thought of selling one).

I wonder who made that ugly one in the picture. Looks like it was ground out on a Big Lots bench grinder....... :footinmou

Lord...now I've insulted the master! :eek:
Just kidding Darrel, it's stunning.

Yeah, yeah. We hear ya. Ain't my kinda knife but it sure looks good to me.

Don't ever want to make one either. Ain't no way. Not this boy. I'd rather make a fugly knife than one of those. It sure does look good though, just laying there all nice and pretty.

RL

Actually, they're not too bad to make Rodger. The only real trick is to get the lobes on the tang right.

I can make them but I can't make a decent liner lock to save my life. When Darrel sees that post, he's gonna change my login name to Mr. Mud.....or worse :eek:

My "views on balisong"

I'd like to ask you guys to call it by it's real name of "Balisong" and not "Bali" or "Bali-song", but I think calling it a butterfly knife is ok too. The knife has nothing to do with "Bali" (the place), and "Bali-song" is a trademark name used by a knife company. It got its name from a village in the Philippines having the same name, and was shall I say discovered by the americans during World War II then brought to America. I believe it's not right calling it "Bali" as people tend to make a wrong connection and think it came from the Bali islands or something.

On a knifemaking prespective though, I think it's easier to make a balisong than a linerlock. It's more or less just the blade, two pivot pins and two handle halves right?

cramnhoj said:
My "views on balisong"

I'd like to ask you guys to call it by it's real name of "Balisong" and not "Bali" or "Bali-song", but I think calling it a butterfly knife is ok too. The knife has nothing to do with "Bali" (the place), and "Bali-song" is a trademark name used by a knife company. It got its name from a village in the Philippines having the same name, and was shall I say discovered by the americans during World War II then brought to America. I believe it's not right calling it "Bali" as people tend to make a wrong connection and think it came from the Bali islands or something.

On a knifemaking prespective though, I think it's easier to make a balisong than a linerlock. It's more or less just the blade, two pivot pins and two handle halves right?

thanks for the info, but my intentions were to get the views on legality issues with making/selling/owning them. also I find that some makers just see them as "bad" and don't want to have anything to do with that particular style of knife.

so far I'm just making it with aluminum to make sure everything lines up properly and it will work.
cheers, Steve.

Peter and all,
Thanks for the kind words.
Balisong knives are like making two folders without the liner or locking back.
They are actually a nice change of pace for me. I am making my glow songs (tritium lighted) that will be coming out in a few weeks as we speak and a few Butterfly knives for the Las Vegas Custom Show and the Invitational that Ed Wormser and David Ellis are putting on after the show on Friday night.

Here is a link to more of them if you have interest. The one posted here is a solid frame. The others that I make now are sandwich construction which I prefer for the precision aspect.

http://www.darrelralph.com/ddr_knives_balisongs_venturi-ss3.htm