1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Villager Baby Ganga Ram Special Review with Pictures

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Skyler R., Oct 23, 2006.

1. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    I picked this villager BGRS quite some time ago (DOTD 1-03-06), it was my second HI. I received it within two days, super fast delivery by Yangdu. Instead of a trianglular box it came in a rectangle (?). The kukri was a beauty and wonderful to behold, it couldn't seem to keep my hands off it. It has been my main go to kukri ever since, even once I obtained larger kukri this one still did most of the work that I wanted.

Blade - Bura did a wonderful job on this kukri. While the finish isn't as high as others, the quality is still there. The lines are excellent, very crisp and clean. The flat of the blade does show hammer marks, but can only been seen if something flat is placed against it. The villager finish and the hammer marks give it a pure business look and feel as well as making it look rugged and ready for hard use. Out of all of my HI kukris this one has the best cho, its where I would like to see more of their chos (about 1/2" away from the bolster). The hardened area is fairly good size, about 4", plenty to do a great job.

Handle - The handle also came in a rough finish like the blade, I in fact like this since it allows better grip. While it is in a rougher finish it is still smooth and has no hot spots. The handle was also larger round then I have seen on other kukris of similar size, which since I have decent size hands I prefer. The bolster very well done in white metal, its a traditional bolster with a good fit and not much laha showing. The ring on the handle is down further then on some other kukris, but I didn't find it to be a problem. The handle is made of walnut, one of my favorites. It is a very beautiful wood with all sorts of reds, browns, and black mixed in it. It also has a delightful smell to it, that has yet to linger.

Scabbard - The scabbard is one of the best I have seen, though in the picture the leather is scuffed due to use. The fit of the blade inside the scabbard is perfect, its snug enough that you can tip the rig upside down and shake it and the blade will not come out, the fit is loose enough that it can still be easily removed when needed. The chape is also made of white metal, and is very well done. It is not overly pointy and the solder line clean and smooth. The frog is made out of thinner leather then I have seen on others, but is certainly strong enough to last.

Chakma Karda - Very well done. They share the villager finish and the karda shares the villager sharpness. The chakma is a little different then most others, in that it has more of a rounded handle and that the butt rather then coming to a flat is more wedge shape.

Chopping - The Baby Ganga Ram Special is a little beast, it just chops and chops and chops. While its far from being the biggest chopper, I find it to be one of the most versatile and it can hold its own even against some larger kukris. The shape of the BGRS also seems to do much better then AK at batoning.

Overall - I could not be happier with this kukri. Its blade, fittings, scabbard are all top notch. I have a feeling that this will continue to be my go to kukri for a very long time.

A big belated Thank You to Yangdu for providing me with such a wonderful knife.

The stats of the knife
    Blade - 10 1/2"
    Handle - 5 5/8"
    Overall length - 16 1/8"
    Blade Thickness - 3/8"
    Point of Balance - 3 1/16" away from bolster
    Weight - 24oz
    Kami - Bura

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    You rock! This is what a knife test should show!!!!

3. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks Hollow. I noticed that you seem to really like your BGRS as well. They sure are hard workers. :)

4. Big Bob

Big Bob

Oct 13, 1999
    Good job splitting the wood there (pine it looks like), especially since it looks to be pretty green. The 15-16" BGRSs have their share of fans among us. The wood on yours looks great btw.

Bob

5. CallsThunder

CallsThunder

May 10, 2004
    I love my 17" BGRS. It is my best chopper and my go to khuk when I need to make a wood pile like you made.
    DanR

6. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Yep. Totaly agree. Villager BGRS' are awesome khuks. I gave my 16 to Hannah's godfather recently. Now I'm down to 0 GRSs. I'm beginning to see that as a problem I'll have to remedy. Yours is a beauty. The belly is beautifully curved, that walnut looks gorgeous, and you're right about the cho too. Great knife. Additionally, this review is one of the better I've read.

7. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Great pictures and review, thank you Skyler