Villager Pen Knife review

Yesterday, I received my 12" 13 ounce Villager Pen Knife by Bura from the Valentines day deals. It is my first Pen knife, so I thought I would post a short review and some pics.

First off let me say that this is one stout little knife. The spine measures almost 3/8" thick at the base. The Blade is 7 1/2" and the handle is 4 1/2". It came pretty sharp and was able to pop a few hairs off of my arm. However, there was a flat part on the edge near the tip about a half an inch long. I decided to spend a couple of minutes touching up the edge and getting rid of the flat spot. I tested the blade again on my arm hair and the next thing I knew my arm looked like a pre-teens. Hair just popped off effortlessly.

Since I now had a good edge, I decided to take it out to the shed and test it. I have a couple of old 2x4's and some railroad ties and old logs out there to test out blades. on my initial swing, when the blade bit nearly halfway into the 2x4 but did'nt bind and pulled out easily, I could'nt believe it. It chops much better than I thought it would because of the large belly. the handle was also suprisingly comfortable. I have small but wide hands so the handle fit me perfectly. Pretty soon my shed was covered in large hunks of wood from the various testing materials, but the Pen knife wanted more. I proceed to test the tip strength by sinking it about 3/4" into the railroad ties and pulling sideways. It easily broke chunks out of the wood with no damage to the tip.

After this the blade could still shave hair, although not as efficiently as before so I decided to test it out on some cardboard boxes that I have in my garage. I hacked apart 4 large boxes, using approximately 12-15 swings a piece. The blade would still shave after this. I then used it to cut off a few dead branches from the Elm trees out front and to split a couple of small logs into kindling for my fireplace. It would still pop a few hairs after all of this. I then proceeded to touch up the edge again and it only took me a few minutes to restore the sharpness. I cleaned and lubed the blade with FP-10 and it looks good as new.

In all, I really love this little blade. What a useful design! It really packs a whallop for its size and holds a great edge. Another winner from Himalayan Imports! Thanks Yangdu! Here are some pics:

penknife1.jpg

penknife2.jpg

penknife3.jpg

penknife4.jpg

penknife5.jpg

wha kind of sharpening system?

bladite

Bladite said:
wha kind of sharpening system?

bladite

I usually use a Lansky or a large stone, but believe it or not, since this blade is so short, I used one of those little triangle stones with the rubber ends that you can hang on a keychain. Worked like a charm. Then I stropped it on the cardboard back of a notebook. Simple and effective. took me about 5 minutes overall and the edge is pretty sharp.

Great review! The Pen Knife is a cool little blade. Your's looks like it has a bit longer handle than mine which is cool:thumbup:

lefthandblack said:
Yesterday, I received my 12" 13 ounce Villager Pen Knife by Bura from the Valentines day deals. It is my first Pen knife, so I thought I would post a short review and some pics.

First off let me say that this is one stout little knife. The spine measures almost 3/8" thick at the base. The Blade is 7 1/2" and the handle is 4 1/2". It came pretty sharp and was able to pop a few hairs off of my arm. However, there was a flat part on the edge near the tip about a half an inch long. I decided to spend a couple of minutes touching up the edge and getting rid of the flat spot. I tested the blade again on my arm hair and the next thing I knew my arm looked like a pre-teens. Hair just popped off effortlessly.

Hi Lefthandblack:

Caution. Do not try this on your bikini line.

Steve Poll said:
lefthandblack said:

Hi Lefthandblack:

Caution. Do not try this on your bikini line.

Ha! Ill try not to:D

Back