Vintage and info on this USMC Kabar?

What is the vintage of this one? Value? Anything special to know about it?

Attachments

• kabar.JPG
    kabar.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 46
Post 1976, most likely 1990s or early 2000s. Still being made.

No WW2 era sheath had the EGA or USMC on them. Some had USN, some had "BoyT" over "43" but many leather sheaths were bare of stamps - WW2 leather sheaths had 9 staples or rivets. No sheath issued during WW2 had Kabar, Camillus, PAL or Robeson-Suredge on them. The knife companies were making knives not sheaths. The government contracted out the sheaths to 2 or 3 companies.

The post-1962 "official" 1219C2s/USN-MK2s (actually some other designation by this time but I can never remember what it is) had 7 staples. These were for the Conneta, Utica and Camillus made knives.

The WW2 knives with thick (3/8") pommels have peened pommels, not pinned ones. The WW2 pinned pommels were 1/4" thick and the pin can be seen on both sides.

Kabar's post-1976s have thick pommels with pins that are blind (only seen on one side).

The font on the WW2 versions has shallow, very narrow letter segments and the repros have wider letter segments and deeper stamps.

Kabar didn't make another 1219C2/USN-MK2 until 1976 as a commemorative. It was so popular, they brought the knife back as the model 1217 and been making them ever since.

Last edited:
Your knife with the parkerized finish puts it in the range of the mid to late 70's to the very early 90's when KA-BAR switched to the present type of finish on the blade. They're good knives. I keep one for knocking about.

zzyzzogeton zzyzzogeton S sac troop :thumbsup::thumbsup: You guys make me Proud to have my Kabar Krew Number. What a Great forum and a wealth of knowledge.
Tanker your positive attitude and enthusiasm also makes this forum Great ! If I owned KaBar and was coming out with a new Knife I would call it The Tanker :thumbsup: Thank You again Tanker for service ;) ! Everyone else who served Too Thank You All :)!

Last edited:
Tanker your positive attitude and enthusiasm also makes this forum Great ! If I owned KaBar and was coming out with a new Knife I would call it The Tanker :thumbsup: Thank You again Tanker for service ;) ! Everyone else who served Too Thank You All :)!
:oops::oops:Thanks Xr Back at you Brother

Back