Vintage Case Handle Material?

first post here - couldn't find the answer so here goes...

Could the voice of experience tell me the name of the handle material on my black, smooth, well worn 1970s case 2 blade? I think mine is a 2 blade knife. One of the scales has a bit of gap near the bolster, which is what made me wonder what it was. Do these synthetic/composition types change in size? From my understanding, celluloid changes.

Here's an example of similar consistency material (not my actual knife) reportedly from 70s era
1510326799_51_1-600x500.jpg

for what it's worth, mine looks most like this:
[LINK REMOVED BASED ON GOLD MEMBER FEEDBACK]

Last edited:
If it's 1970s I'm guessing it is Delrin but there are some SUPER Case experts here that can tell you for certain and they all hang out in Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades. Ask there and they will help you for sure.

This. Also, pics of your actual knife would definitely help, Markings on it, pics of the handle scale material in different lights and from different angles, etc... Saying "what's my handle material? Here's a completely different knife but the material looks similar," is not likely to get you many useful answers.

There are subtle differences in the way one material may look vs. another, and posting a pic of a different knife with "similar" material, may well be a different material all together.

Edit to add: and you might want to edit out the link to Amazon. We don't link to non-supporting dealers here on BFC and Amazon does not support this website.

This. Also, pics of your actual knife would definitely help, Markings on it, pics of the handle scale material in different lights and from different angles, etc... Saying "what's my handle material? Here's a completely different knife but the material looks similar," is not likely to get you many useful answers.

There are subtle differences in the way one material may look vs. another, and posting a pic of a different knife with "similar" material, may well be a different material all together.

Edit to add: and you might want to edit out the link to Amazon. We don't link to non-supporting dealers here on BFC and Amazon does not support this website.
thanks

thanks for the info - will have to work on how to add pics - more poking around to do (post updated with link deleted)

thanks

thanks for the info - will have to work on how to add pics - more poking around to do (post updated with link deleted)

Posting pics isn't that tough. You go through imgur, photobucket, etc... and just add the link. I know there's a sticky somewhere on how to do it but I can't recall where it is. Maybe someone else can chime in. I'm technologically stupid, so I'm the last guy who should advise further.

As for your edited removal of the link:
a) Good job. You don't want to get dinged for breaking the rules, so good move editing that out.
b) "Gold member feedback" doesn't mean squat. We don't have ranks here in the forum (aside from mods who actually should be listened to and they can ding you with points and whatnot), and having a gold or platinum membership doesn't mean that anyone knows better or is more important than a non-paying member. There are plenty of non-paying members who know more than I do, and substantively contribute more than I do. All the memberships mean is that we contribute an annual fee that helps support the costs of running the forum.

The handle material in the picture is a black composite commonly referred to as "Slick Black".

Railsplitter has it right. It's called "Slick Black". Also, the knife in your photo appears to be a Straight "XX", which indicates it was made between 1940-64.

appreciate you all bearing with me as I get the forum stuff straight
(and thanks for moving the thread to the appropriate section)
I now have an imgur account and will upload some decent pics of my actual blades
I look forward to learning a lot! so many years of collecting and so many questions...
thank you

so slick black is a form of plastic? and like delrin and staglon it is a brand name ...if the op"s knife is anything like that pic it isn't cel...and thats a good thing.

Back