Photos Vintage Craftsman Huing Axe

What is this

• Hueing hatchet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
New here, found what I believe to be a hatchet for hueing logs in a buddies basement. Anyone know anything about it besides the obvious fact it’s a craftsman? Also dumb question, but how do you post pictures on the site? Thanks in advance
CRAFTEMAN
REG. US PAT. OFF-M

New here, found what I believe to be a hatchet for hueing logs in a buddies basement. Anyone know anything about it besides the obvious fact it’s a craftsman? Also dumb question, but how do you post pictures on the site? Thanks in advance
CRAFTEMAN
REG. US PAT. OFF-M
Made for Sears/Craftsman by Vaughan & Bushnell ( that M there is the OEM code Sears had for Vaughan) in the 50's-60's.
It's a broad hatchet or " bench axe " as it's sometimes called.

Last edited:
Could be a "heavy-half" hatchet as well, hence the confusion about whether it's a hewing axe or not.

Could be a "heavy-half" hatchet as well, hence the confusion about whether it's a hewing axe or not.
Yeah I always forget about that odd duck.
The overall package seems handy, but they're just weird looking .

This Craftsman Hewing Hatchet was my Great Grandfathers in the 1920's - 1930's. AQs it came to me and after re-hafting it to suit me and make it usable again. Grand Dad was a barn builder in Champaign County, Ohio and used it for hewing fitting beams

Last edited:
Thanks for the verification, that is what I thought it was too.
Made for Sears/Craftsman by Vaughan & Bushnell ( that M there is the OEM code Sears had for Vaughan) in the 50's-60's.
Thanks that’s exactly what I have

The axes from above aren't for hewing logs. Other carpentry work yes, I guess, edging, trimming maybe even something to do with a rough kind of joinery in a stretch but to hew logs with one would be kind of fruitless.

The axes from above aren't for hewing logs. Other carpentry work yes, I guess, edging, trimming maybe even something to do with a rough kind of joinery in a stretch but to hew logs with one would be kind of fruitless.

Yes, they normally used a larger axe for hewing the logs but the hatchets were used also for things like barrel staves, joining, fitting beams up etc.

If you have an interest in Broad Axe log hewing, there are some good, some bad, videos on this forum. Square Peg kindly posted some historic footage for me a while back.
If you can find a way to watch the October 21, 1993, show no. 15-08 of "This Old House", you will get to see Norm Abram in the Wyoming Washakie Wilderness working on a historic log house restoration.

Back