Photos Vintage Gebr. Weyersberg Corneta No.35 machete

Latest find is this vintage Gebr. Weyersberg Corneta No.35 machete, made in Solingen.
It's going to get both a new handle and a new convex edge.

Specs:

Overall length: 28.74 inches (73 cm)
Blade length: 23.62 inches (60 cm)
Weight: 495 grams
The blade tapers from 2.54 mm just before the handle down to 1.19 mm an inch towards the point.

Starting the new edge with a Chinese 300 grit diamond file (my Swedish Öberg file just skids over the steel without cutting it)
The machete is clamped on the table with 2 C-clamps, where the left one remains on the handle section while the other one gets moved back & forth whenever necessary.
First the old & corroded "edge" was filed flat, then i started on the shoulder and will keep widening this with a scrubbing motion using both hands (but with only a minimum of pressure) until i reach the flattened edge from both sides of the blade.
From then on i start measuring with my Tormek WM200 to make sure the new apex will form at ~30 degrees inclusive and a burr will appear.
Then i will use one or two DMT Diafolds to refine the new edge a bit further.

When filing a new edge i start at the handle and first take down the (hard) shoulders along the entire bevels, creating a narrow white line all the way up to the point (see the second picture in my post above this one), then i start at the handle again and slowly broaden that narrow white line until it reaches the still flattened edge.
When both sides of the blade are done this way i begin again, but now i start at the point and work towards the handle.
Then the whole process is simply repeated.
The differently angled grinding patterns help me to see how much and where exactly i still need to remove steel.

"WKC Stahl- und Metallwarenfabrik, formerly Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Cie., is a German sword manufacturing company located in Solingen, North Rhine-Westphalia. The company was founded in 1883 with the …

WKC is the oldest existing production factory for edged swords. They produce handmade, durable swords that feature ceremonial blades and are built to strict military regulations."

They actually Manufacture the United States Armed Forces Sabers. If it's Solingen, it has to be good!
Be Well,

Tejano Libre

* Most of My Sabers are Prussian, German Republic and French or English. But even my Model 1895 Cavalry ''Lances" were made for the Argentine Cavalry by W.K.C.
Damn Nice Lances! *

Alle, die zum Schwert greifen, werden durch das Schwert umkommen

Last edited:
Back