1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 3 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Busse Combat Custom Shop Flak Jack, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 19!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Congratulations winners! The Week 2 Giveaway has ended over on our YouTube Channel and here are the winners:
    BladeForums Logo Sticker: Impulse600
    BladeForums Velcro Patch: garythegoat
    BladeForums Logo Tshirt: crocgator106
    BladeForums paid subscription upgrade: billygoat78

Darrel Ralph Dominator 35: norcaldude Winners will be contacted by PM / email, so look for my message!
  4. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

Viper Free - week-end hike

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by Herlock, May 18, 2015.

1. Herlock

Herlock

May 13, 2015
    Hi there! This week-end I took out with me again the Viper Free. I own this knife since one year or so now. Just sharing some personal impressions and few pics, I am no knives expert, just a hobbyist and week-end hiker, so be patient :). The Free has a folding blade which allows the opening with one hand, thanks to a hole for the thumb. The opening is rather easy, even if I cannot define it smooth. The blade has a characteristic design, in my opinion nice and original. It’s basically a drop point that winks at sheepfoot or Wharncliffe shapes. The blade is about 3.5 mm thick. A not too aggressive jimping, on the upper part of the blade, close to the pivot, guides the placing of the thumb and improves blade control when carving/whittling.

The blade is made out of tool steel D2. Although I don’t consider this a stainless steel, I would consider the stone washed finish of the blade corrosion resistant for everyday use, with a minimum of care and maintenance. I use this knife as a utility, workhorse hiking folding knife; these days again I cut food such as salami, ham, cheese, bread, fruit, tomatoes and cucumbers and various materials such as wood of various species, ropes, clothes, etc. During this year, I always cleaned the knife with plain water and soap and tried to put it away dry with a drop of oil but no freaking out about it. Not a single spot of rust so far.

The handle material is G10. Handle is sizeable, comfortable and provides a good grip. This G10 is solid and impact resistant (cannot say the same for all G10s). The knife fell a couple of times on rocks and pebbles - closed - with no visible damage. The clip is not intrusive and does not disturb during the use.

Fit and finish is good, as most of Maniago productions :). The lock system is called “smart-lock”, a kind of improved, patented version of the liner-lock. For a normal use the liner-lock of the Free is already very good and I have rarely engaged the smart-lock that would totally block the blade. The spine is rounded, with no sharp corners.

I used the knife extensively but exclusively for cutting and carving. I never use folders for chopping or batoning (I carry a Felco folding saw instead :)), however I can say that is solid and efficient in, for example, limbing branches to make a walking stick, an activity which may fall into the category of “light chopping”. Thanks to a good blade geometry and a long lasting edge, is very easy to make feather-sticks with different types of wood ( tested on fir, pine, larch, birch).

All in all, I consider the Free a good mid-size folder, meeting expectations when it comes to the tasks required to a folder, with pleasant design and great portability in easy levels hiking/camping scenarios. For me it’s a bit too big for urban scenarios EDC, even if it was legal to carry, which is not ‘round here, unfortunately. Also I consider this knife having a good value for money.

Dimensions and weight
    210 mm
    123 g

Blade
    Drop point shape
    Lenght: 86 mm
    Thickness: 3.6 mm
    Steel: D2 (58-60 HRC)

Handle
    Lenght: 121 mm
    Material: G10 (olive green – in my version. Also available in black, brown)

Lock
    Smart-Lock

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. J D Wijbenga

J D Wijbenga

Oct 17, 1998
    Thank you for the extensive review and nice pictures!

3. bruno_go

bruno_go

May 19, 2015
    Nice review and pictures. Congrats.