Review Viper Knives Swayback Jack (A CK Exclusive)

Pàdruig

Reap What You Sow
Platinum Member
I think there might be a thread that discusses the subject knife already but as I am stuck at home with not much better to do, I thought I would write up a post/review with regards to it in a weighty, in-depth manner.

***DISCLAIMER***

The subject knife is a modern take on a traditional pattern, utilizing modern materials and construction methods. Because of this, it is somewhat controversial in these circles and there are bound to be comments that question its presence here on the Porch. I invite all manners of discourse but please do bear in mind that this knife meets the criteria set by those who make the rules.

Onward!

The knife that I am writing about is the Swayback Jack, made by Viper Knives from Italy, in collaboration with Mike Latham from Collector Knives.

Specs:
  • Swayback Pattern
  • M390 Steel (with a hardness between 59-60HRC)
  • Titanium Integral Bolsters and Liners
  • Stag Covers
  • Wharnecliffe Blade
  • Closed Length - 3 5/8"
  • Overall Length - 6 1/2"

b9P9G10.jpg

qZMnT1d.jpg

Mike Latham has collaborated with a few Italian cutlery firms to bring the market a number of traditional patterns with a more modern flair. Pairing a classic design with premium materials (PM alloy steel and titanium) and more modern construction methods (screwed construction, washers, adjustable pivots, etc.) has been met with a fairly positive response.

My first foray into Mike’s collaborations was the Lionsteel Roundhead – one of his Euro Barlows. Since then, I have acquired the other versions of the Barlow (Dom and Shuffler) as well as the 2-bladed Warhorse (a favorite). I also tried out the Lion Steel Bolus which falls somewhat in the Sodbuster area. Despite the Bolus not fitting my hand all that well and my initial skepticism overall, I’ve been very pleased with these offerings and I feel that Mike has been blazing a unique trail amidst the world of traditional cutlery – offering us high quality production knives in desirable patterns and with premium materials at an excellent price.

G0NWLEX.jpg

Now to dig into the meat of this Swayback Jack.

The Swayback frame is one of my favorites and occupies a significant portion of my collection. When I learned that Mike was working with Viper Knives to produce this one, I knew that I was eventually going to have to get one. Due to the scarcity of GEC’s #47 pattern and no word as to whether we will be seeing them produce another run anytime soon, I am unable to compare this Viper with GEC’s… well… “Viper”. However, I can compare to Case’s Swayback Jack and GEC’s #93, as well as several Sheffield made Lambsfoot knives.

Coming in at 3 5/8” closed, it is slightly shorter than the #47 and even shorter still than the #93. It is, however, comparable to the standard Lambsfoot size from A. Wright’s and longer than the Case Swayback Jack.

As a result, the size of this Viper Swayback should hit a sweet spot for many and even if the length is too short for some, there is a lot packed into this knife to make it worth the purchase.

F5NqDJk.jpg

One of the most interesting elements of this knife (to me, anyway) is the integral bolsters and liners. Machined from a single piece of titanium for each side, it really does a great job at streamlining the knife and serves to make my Euro Barlows somewhat clunky and/or busy in comparison. Another difference between the Viper and the Lionsteel is that the backspring of the Swayback is almost polished, where the backsprings on the Barlow have more of a satin (or matte) finish.

Like with my Lion Steel knives, all the transitions on this Viper are beautifully chamfered and smooth, nothing catches, gouges, or scratches. Which makes for a wonderful knife to carry, use, or simply fidget with. Fit and finish is just excellent.

QzKiyr7.jpg

xyMwMMK.jpg

H7COYWY.jpg

Another interesting thing to note is the backspring near the pivot. Mike discusses this in a video on his website and explains how it is part of the design. In more traditionally made knives, we would certainly accuse this of being proud of the liners in not only the closed position, but at the half stop and open positions as well. However, due to the design, as well as the rounded shape of the spine and backspring, it doesn’t seem out of place on this knife. In fact, when the knife is open, the transition from spine to spring is almost seamless.

uufNBOY.jpg

n0bx3T7.jpg

I cannot recall what all the cover options were when Mike initially got these in but when I eventually got around to ordering, there were only Stag, Grey Oak, and OD Canvas Micarta covers available. I’ve become rather fond of Stag so I inquired with Mike to see what variants were available. Despite the current climate, Mike was very responsive (as he usually is) and informed me that the Stag coming in from Italy has been quite good. I’ve had better luck with Mike picking out my Stag as of late than I ever have been in selecting my own and this time was no exception.

I like color and texture in Stag and value those over matched covers and specific types of texture (i.e. popcorn, grooves, etc.). Though I like dark and gnarly in general, I am perfectly happy with plenty of color and lots of texture.

The covers that came on this knife are mostly matched in thickness, with the pile side being a tad bit thicker and, in my opinion, if I’m to have additional thickness, the pile side is where I want it. Fantastic color and texture on both sides, with the pile side having some tasteful smooth white spots here and there.

Very, very pleased with them.

t1o85LP.jpg

S9xMYu4.jpg

06BLjO7.jpg

When discussing new slipjoints, it is impossible not to talk about the action or “walk-and-talk” and the strength of its pull. The Viper Swayback Jack has an excellently firm pull that snaps securely into the half stop and open positions – no “mushiness” here, it’s like biting into a fresh Honeycrisp apple. Closing it is equally as crisp and satisfying – a job very well done here and even though I am likely able to make some adjustments via the pivot screw, I don’t have a need in this case.

Like the other Italian slipjoints, this one has a stop pin, which in my experience gives a different feel when snapping closed than a knife without one. As they say, your mileage may vary...

Speaking of pivot screws, the one on this knife is rather large and I suspect it will turn a lot of folks here off to the knife overall. I won’t speculate as to why it is as large as it is but from a tinkering viewpoint, a larger screw makes it a bit easier when (or if) the need arises.

rbFgH7F.jpg

QpkzDqZ.jpg

One of my favorite blade shapes is the Lambsfoot – it combines the strength of a Sheepfoot with the nimbleness of a Wharnecliffe. It is really hard to beat in terms of form and function and is why I have so many of them. That said, I do appreciate a good Wharnecliffe and this Viper has a good Wharnecliffe.

It is a stout blade with relatively thick stock but even with the thickness, they have done an excellent job with the grinds. (I don’t have any calipers handy but I am pretty certain that the blade is thicker than the blades on my Lion Steel Barlows.) Still, with the nicely tapered grind, relieved spine, and keeping the thickness behind the edge down for the most part, this is going to make for a fine, albeit robust, slicing tool.

TpUSLX5.jpg

So far, there is nothing for me to really dislike about this knife. If I were to really nitpick, I would say the lanyard hole is unnecessary for a knife in this size range but that is just my preference. I also would prefer that the lanyard holes have eyelets to protect against the wear from a bail or cord but I understand that due to the modular nature of these knives, it probably wasn’t particularly feasible.

KybQNz4.jpg

In conclusion (if you have made it this far, you have my thanks):

Overall, this is a knife that is representative of the great quality that I have come to expect from not only Italy, but from Mike Latham as well. The collaborations are unique in this industry and reflect a facet that might not be everyone’s cup o’ tea but there is no denying that there is a place for these knives and represent an evolution that is both desirable and exciting.

Glamour shot!

tEI4J78.jpg

Last edited:
I genuinely appreciate the time spent to post a review this in-depth. For an enthusiast that probably cares more what others think than is good for my sanity, it is always good to score a success. And so far, this knife is a success. Not in the same volume yet that the Barlow was; but a satisfying project nonetheless. We are working on a couple more patterns for this year and hope they are met with as much interest.

Viper Tecnocut and lionSteel are both Maniago, Italy companies that have fewer employees than GEC. And the ownership of both are genuinely good people as well as exceptionally honest. Nobody makes a traditional like Great Eastern; but in a market scrambling to inventory their knives - it is good to be able to bring superb products to my friends and customers.

Pàdruig Pàdruig
Excellent write up with wonderful photos. I've recently acquired two similar knives, the GEC 47 Viper and the Rough Ryder clone. I was never a wharncliffe fan but these two have changed my mind.
The only Viper Knife I've handled is the sowbelly and I concur with your description and conclusions as to the overall quality and general feeling of enjoyment in handling the knife.

D980DC36-F4D2-438E-9977-DD33325064E7.jpeg
Great write up. The viper swayback is an exceptional knife. I received one from my wife for Christmas, and have carried and used it a lot. A real nice modern traditional, with good quality steel, fantastic fit and finish, and a satisfying snap either opening or closing. Covid boredom got to me earlier today and I ordered a case swayback. I’ve been meaning to pick one up for a long time, but it’ll have to be pretty special to surpass the viper.

I genuinely appreciate the time spent to post a review this in-depth. For an enthusiast that probably cares more what others think than is good for my sanity, it is always good to score a success. And so far, this knife is a success. Not in the same volume yet that the Barlow was; but a satisfying project nonetheless. We are working on a couple more patterns for this year and hope they are met with as much interest.

Viper Tecnocut and lionSteel are both Maniago, Italy companies that have fewer employees than GEC. And the ownership of both are genuinely good people as well as exceptionally honest. Nobody makes a traditional like Great Eastern; but in a market scrambling to inventory their knives - it is good to be able to bring superb products to my friends and customers.

Mike, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve. Every one of your collaborations have been exceptional.

Pàdruig Pàdruig
Excellent write up with wonderful photos. I've recently acquired two similar knives, the GEC 47 Viper and the Rough Ryder clone. I was never a wharncliffe fan but these two have changed my mind.
The only Viper Knife I've handled is the sowbelly and I concur with your description and conclusions as to the overall quality and general feeling of enjoyment in handling the knife.

Thank you, Alan! I am hoping to get that Viper Sowbelly next - I don't need much in the way of convincing after this one.

I do hope to acquire a GEC Viper at some point, this particular knife here is a testament to the pattern and I'd love to experience GEC's take on it. Meanwhile, I might hunt down one of those RRs, your regard for it has my interest piqued.

View attachment 1327647
Great write up. The viper swayback is an exceptional knife. I received one from my wife for Christmas, and have carried and used it a lot. A real nice modern traditional, with good quality steel, fantastic fit and finish, and a satisfying snap either opening or closing. Covid boredom got to me earlier today and I ordered a case swayback. I’ve been meaning to pick one up for a long time, but it’ll have to be pretty special to surpass the viper.

Thank you, my friend! The Case Swayback is a worthy knife, especially in that CV steel. My only complaint is that it is pretty small - I'd carry it a lot more if it was closer to the 3 1/2"+ mark.

Thanks for the write-up and pics!

Lionsteel doesn't really trip my trigger, as I am somewhat of a purist. But the swayback is an undoubtedly handsome knife. I think it's the best looking design in the lineup.

Nicely done, Dylan. Thanks for the review. I really like the integral bolsters. Swaybacks are just sexy looking in almost any variation, aren't they?

Thanks for the write-up and pics!

Lionsteel doesn't really trip my trigger, as I am somewhat of a purist. But the swayback is an undoubtedly handsome knife. I think it's the best looking design in the lineup.

It was my pleasure, Christian! And for the record, I have the utmost respect for your position on these, they certainly are not for everybody. I would certainly be curious if they would ever consider doing something with traditional pinned construction - perhaps they have in the past, I'm not sure.

Nicely done, Dylan. Thanks for the review. I really like the integral bolsters. Swaybacks are just sexy looking in almost any variation, aren't they?

Thank you, my friend! The integral bolsters are a marvel to me - much more impressive in person.

And yes, it is awfully hard to do Swayback wrong.

But not impossible. I remember seeing a swayback with a spearpoint blade once. I wish I could forget it, but what has been seen cannot be unseen.

:confused:

Oh... Yeah, I'm not sure how that works. The Swayback is born to have a straight edged blade paired with it. Not sure I can unsee that in my head either.

Very nice words and I agree 100%. I also have a stag Swayback and it is a pleasure to operate, came very sharp and had Nickey matched stag.

Looking forward.to.what comes next from Mike and these Italian makers.

Grest review and write up,I appreciate it coming from a fellow knife knut.Certainly is a nice looking knife to me, my only personal gripe from an aesthetic view is the screws. Not that it uses them really,but that they're torx. I get it from a manufacturing standpoint, but their kinda "bleh" to me on this style of knife. I think if they used slightly dommed slotted screws like you find on fine firearms they would be more appealing. At least for me,others may feel differently. I feel this and the Lionsteel knives bridge the gap between modern and traditional nicely. We must remember that like my nephew who just turned 21 and for him it seems laptops and cell phones have "always" been around,so to for his generation modern tactical folders are the norm. There are those who get burned out on a particular thing and want to try something new but having features they're used too helps them take the plunge. For them knives like this are like a '33 Ford hotrod built with modern drivetrain and chassis. Modern enough that you dont worry about how its built or it's reliability, but with old school looks and design thats just plain cool.

Excellent review, something substantial yet not opinionated, a proper piece to get your teeth into:cool:

I think these type of knives from Italy, and Lionsteel, Fox knives show not only ingenuity but that it's possible to produce a very high quality, rigorously assembled knife that's within many peoples' grasp financially. An achievement in itself. I've been very impressed by the Lionsteel Roundhead even though Barlows have not been my favourite pattern, it's light but exudes quality and presence-I do like a decent Spear as well. Yesterday I got a Fox Knives Livri and I'm delighted with it, the M390 steel is most impressive.

Overall, the Viper looks very satisfying and is a credible size, not too massive like other Moderns can be. I think it could look very nice with Ramshorn or Ivory Smooth Bone too, something for Mike to mull over :cool: I'll say that I'm not really a lanyard hole fan, particularly on a Barehead like this but that's just subjective, the Wharncliffe blade has the right handle:blade ratio too.

Thanks, Will

Thanks for the detailed review. I've hemmed and hawed about trying one of these so this was timely for me as well.

While I am definitely fond of "traditional" traditionals, I think there's room for a few modern traditionals as well.

Back