Vise Grips - Made in USA again

I know I have a lot of vise grips of every type and size.
Probably 30+ if you put them all in one place

I've deliberately stayed away from the store brand and no names because they just weren't as good.

First made by a blacksmith in 1921 which became Peterson mfg in Dewit Nebraska, USA,

s-l1600.jpg

The unlocking lever came in 1957

Bought up by Irwin and offshored in 2008
I noticed the chinese ones have thicker jaws than the Peterson brand.

Despite that, I've had a brand new pair of chinese have the jaw snap off the first time I tightened it.
Bad HT, or hydrogen embrittlement from the plating ?
It warrantied, but it was another trip back to the store I didn't need.
If it did that, the whole lot was suspect to me.
Now I squeeze test all tools before I pay for them.

It looks like Vise Grips are also being made in America again.

Someone bought up the old building and equipment and some people

They are now selling them as "Eagle Grips"

Quality looks good, pricing high.- no stock available, but it looks like triple the price of the chinese Irwin Vise Grip Brand. $45 vs $15

Distribution - it's probably all online - Amazon only

61maqrJ6OPS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, this is great news. A previously USA-made tool, made once again in the USA. For awhile I was searching for old USA vice-grips at swap meets. Thanks for the heads up. $38 on Amazon.

From the mfgr's page: "For nearly 60 years, the best tools ever made were crafted in DeWitt and forged from American steel. Unfortunately, that manufacturer decided to move production to China in 2008 to save a few bucks per unit at the expense of American jobs. Since bringing manufacturing back to the nation’s heartland, Malco is committed to producing the toughest and highest quality tools in the world. Verified by third-party testing, the LP10WC Eagle Grip Curved Jaw Locking Pliers w/Wire Cutter are officially the strongest locking pliers available on the market."

Ironically, on my computer they come up at Amazon under a prominent pink banner that reads: "Spotlight on Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month."

Last edited:
I'll say mixed news. Great to have things US made, but it'll be too bad if Amazon is the only way to get them.

I'll say mixed news. Great to have things US made, but it'll be too bad if Amazon is the only way to get them.

It's a way to roll out distribution to a wide audience and still keep profits in house.

Buying shelf space at hardware stores will just put them beside the Irwin china made and folks there will buy on price.

Thanks count. I understand the economics, but I'm still sad about the monopoly Amazon is building...

Buy Amazon/made in USA or buy Chinese, hmmm...,.

Buy Amazon/made in USA or buy Chinese, hmmm...,.
I bought a Plumb hammer from Amazon that the listing said Made in USA ... it was not, sent it back and made a complaint to Amazon - listing still says Made in USA :mad:
Good news about the vise grips

That's pretty cool.
I grew up in Lincoln and remember that my grandpa had a bunch of Vise grips in his shop. He was so proud that they were made just down the road.
I'll pay more for something made in the US.
I agree it's a bummer if they're only available on Amazon.

Agreed. I'm always willing to pay more for USA made products. Assuming they are equal or better quality. Which is usually the case.

Back