Vote: Which knife should I take elk hunting?

My presence has been pretty scarce around here this summer. Busy traveling, working, wedding planning, and having fun!

Hopefully I'll find some time in the coming weeks to check in more regularly, and if I'm lucky one of those will be with a trip report about our archery elk hunt! In a week we will be heading into the mountains to spend 9 days chasing elk with our bows. Most of the nights will be spent in a base camp, but we will probably also "spike camp" for a couple nights. I'm working on my packing list and I'm having a tough time deciding which knife to bring...

So, Fiddleback friends which one of my knives should I take with me? It will be used for part of the elk field dressing, grouse cleaning, and any knife related camp tasks.

Here are the contenders:

Fiddleback Family Knives

Fiddleback OS Ladyfinger
Koh2rmgl.jpg

Fiddleback F2
4KTpxnRl.jpg

Osprey K&T Warthog
QWlecqOl.jpg

Fletcher Pro 6-5, my first Blade Show knife
2KWITG5l.jpg

Non-Fiddleback Family Knives (I figure posting here a Fiddleback Family knife will win, but I like sharing pictures of my knives so might as well! :D)

Wanta Forge Small Puukko
eVQZKzCl.jpg

GiantMouse GMF2 (another blade show purchase that I haven't put to good use yet! Or taken good pictures of...)
xKzOrW8l.jpg

Cast your votes! One of these knives will join me and my Tyto 1.1 replaceable blade knife (my main big game processing knife) in the elk woods. You have until next Thursday to help me choose one! I'll post some better pictures of the Fletcher and GiantMouse this weekend.

Here's the Tyto again since I've mentioned a couple times.
XnhD4V6l.jpg

If everything goes right I'll have a bunch more pictures to share of the winning knife with an elk!

Last edited:
OS Lady.

Simply for the one-stop-shop factor. Bushcraft stuff plus dressing large game plus basic camp chores. Just make sure it’s super sharp before you go! I’ve dressed out smaller whitetail deer with the Lil Lady because it just works well ergonomically for me and can get past the sinew and stuff very nimbly, and it can help you skin in the field too, if y’all choose that route. I’d imagine her big sis would be great for larger stuff like elk. The F2 might come in handy for precision work with grouse, though.

Have a great time!

You have some great options but I can't see going on a hunt like that without your trusty OS Lady on your side!

I'd vote the OS lady...
With the F2, would you need to put your finger on the tip to make sure not to puncture?

Seems like a pretty clear winner so far, not very surprising!

F2
Estela posted a video in his IG story of one of the professional Hunter's fellas making quick work of the Plains game animals w. his

I think the F2 would would be a great big game knife as well as fish and fowl... And fungi. Maybe I'll take the F2 on my deer hunt in November if it doesn't get to go on this trip.

OS Lady.

Simply for the one-stop-shop factor. Bushcraft stuff plus dressing large game plus basic camp chores. Just make sure it’s super sharp before you go! I’ve dressed out smaller whitetail deer with the Lil Lady because it just works well ergonomically for me and can get past the sinew and stuff very nimbly, and it can help you skin in the field too, if y’all choose that route. I’d imagine her big sis would be great for larger stuff like elk. The F2 might come in handy for precision work with grouse, though.

Have a great time!

Thanks! Hard to beat the OS Lady! I used it on my pronghorn two years ago and it was great. I also considered the Lil Lady... I'm used to a very small knife for game processing. As mentioned above my main processing knife is usually a replaceable blade knife like a Havalon or Tyto. This is my Tyto, super light, always scalpel sharp because it is one. I can usually do a whole deer with one blade and and elk with 2 or 3.

bl2JXWUl.jpg

We almost always skin and debone in the field using the "gutless method" because we're loading up backpacls and hiking the meat out a few to several miles. Bones and hide are heavy!

I may have to bring the F2 along just to use on the grouse! :D vote on two knives! Haha .

You have some great options but I can't see going on a hunt like that without your trusty OS Lady on your side!

So many good knife options! I agree, it would be hard to leave the Lady behind, but I like trying different knives for field dressing. I've done an animal with the Lady and the Warthog. They're also all back up to the Tyto as shown above, so if it doesn't work out I can fall back on the reliable replaceable blade knife!

I'd vote the OS lady...
With the F2, would you need to put your finger on the tip to make sure not to puncture?

As I mentioned above, we primarily use the "gutless method" for field dressing so I usually don't have to worry about puncturing. If I was gutting and animal I would definitely guide with a finger on any knife I used. I think the F2 would be a great big game knife as well, but I'm used to small and nimble as shown above.

Ha, I was going to say the OS Lady. But I'm late to the party and that base is already well covered.

The Gutless Method on big critters makes a lot of sense. Especially if you're alone.

I'd be on the fence between the OS Lady and the Warthog

Both have done a great job in the past on big game! I brought the Fletcher last weekend. I think it would do a great job as well.

Ha, I was going to say the OS Lady. But I'm late to the party and that base is already well covered.

The Gutless Method on big critters makes a lot of sense. Especially if you're alone.

Haha! Another vote for the Lady! We pretty much only use the gutless. Much cleaner.

That Warthog looks like a fantastic all around knife. I love my F2, but I take it for mushrooms or trout, not late Fall.

OS Lady. Been using mine on reindeer, deer, elk and moose with great results. Also works great on fish, birds and general use (and yours is one of the best looking ones out there)

OS Lady. Been using mine on reindeer, deer, elk and moose with great results. Also works great on fish, birds and general use (and yours is one of the best looking ones out there)

Any pictures!?

I did my pronghorn with the OS Lady a couple years ago. Definitely a great all around knife!

Any pictures!?

I did my pronghorn with the OS Lady a couple years ago. Definitely a great all around knife!

Don't really take pics of hunting and meat processing. Usually to busy and forget to take any :oops:

Don't really take pics of hunting and meat processing. Usually to busy and forget to take any :oops:

No worries, that's understandable. It's sort of a process to take pictures and be efficient at the same time. Haha.

Updating some pictures right now!

Back