W-2, Wrought iron, and osic.....

This is the first knife from my new shop. The shop isn't 100% but this knife is. This is actually a first for me to post a picture that has a sheath along with the knife. My goal is to make a knife and then the sheath. So far I've done one this way. At least now I can't use the excuss I don't have the room to do both. The blade on this knife is 5 1/2" and 11" overall.
PDRM0914.JPG

PDRM0915.JPG

fitzo

Gold Member
Way nice package, Ray! A fine christening for the new digs!

LOOKIN GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD RAY, all that room, it will be hard to keep track of everything now. :confused: :D

Bill

Real nice Ray. I love it. How about a closeup on the WI and how do you form your rings. Are they welded or just pinched shut?

I like it!

I am with Peter....I would like a closeup of the WI, and I would like to see more detail on the handle as well. Can you post some more pics?

Doc

I'll try and get somemore pictures if I remember. The rings are really pretty simple to make. I just use a round rod. Drill a hole in the rod and then just twist what ever it is your making the rings out of around it. I normally use welding rod and I like 5/32 the best. I used to heat it as I twisted it around but I found out it works just fine cold. I'll make several turns and end up having maybe a dozen on the rod. I then use a cut off wheel on the drill press and make a slit threw them all. They are welded shut. I'll just close them up tight and use my gas welder with a small tip. Heat the joint up untill it sparks and thats usually it.

I got the W-2 from the "Drops Guy". He sells off of ebay but I believe Wayne and I cleaned him out of the W-2.

Looks good. I agree...more pics.
What an original idea.....Make a sheath for the knife as you finish it.
I'll have to try that.

Thanks! The detail shots are great, and the work looks excellent....

The hard part of being here is not having the funds ot buy everyone elses work!

Doc

Thanks Ray, I remember the Drop Guy. At the time I wasn't interested in breaking down odd sized pieces of steel by hand. I wish I had bought some now though!

Guy, A friend of mine has sent me some of the odd size W-2 but later I ordered some 1 3/4" X 3/16" that he had. I had tried in vane a couple of years ago on some W-2 I had heard about. Makes me wonder now if the "Drops Guy" had got there before I did...