W.R. Case & Sons Honing (Hone?) Stone. Razor sharpener

Ran across this old stone in my shed of lost memories (the pout house, where the men go to escape the wives). I at first thought this was a knife sharpening stone, but now I think it is a razor sharpening stone. Just thought it was interesting to see the Case name on something other than a knife. I have no razors, but wouldn't mind seeing if this could get one to a desired sharpness.
Marked on the stone (one side only) is this... W.R. Case & Son, Extra 232 Choice, "star emblem" Bradford PA

Case-Hone-Small.jpg

It looks very much like a razor hone, needs a good lapping, but may well prove to be good. If you do try to lap it, the idea is to get it as smooth as possible, and they tend to be pretty soft in comparison to modern abrasives.

It looks very much like a razor hone, needs a good lapping, but may well prove to be good. If you do try to lap it, the idea is to get it as smooth as possible, and they tend to be pretty soft in comparison to modern abrasives.
Thanks for your reply, I was beginning to think my junk wasn't shiny enough for folks to reply to. I need to do my homework now and find out how to "Lap" it.

Some of them deteriorate pretty bad with time. The edge depends on a smooth surface vs the way lots of modern stones work.

Thanks Garry for the video, I noticed I did have a flattening stone in my possession. I need to give it a try.

Back