W&SS Forum Custom Neck Knife Challenge!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a smile a mile wide as I read this and have the luck of having blades from the three top makers. Great show and excellent reviews JCAV! I feel a bit impish replying to this so late in the game. But what a ride. Thanks to all the makers and to the reviewer. I repeat....WHAT A RIDE. You guys rock!

I say a chopper/camp knife with a 8-10 inch blade range. One that can be used to process wood, game animals a do all knife. All but 2 of my custom knives are in the 8-11 inch blade length. I use them to gut skin and process wild game. I think a lot of guy's over look this size as for processing wood only. Let me just say the American Indians that lived in the big woods always wanted to trade for knives with 9 inch plus blades.I have always figured they lived off the land so there must be some thing to that way of thinking. I tell you what you get weird looks when you pull out an 8 inch blade knife and gut a deer with it. Just rambling I know we had a camp knife challenge but those were all 4-6inch blades. just my 2 cents but damn would I love to see what the makers come up with.

Christof - This one was simply outstanding with the wood carving. I have handled some of his knives before and seen the effort he puts into making a sharp edge, and it really works. The blade geometry worked against it in the food prep. If you want a carving knife, this would be hard to beat. It wasn't one of my favorites in the carry department.

Gray Wolf - Well done scandi grind that did surprisingly well with tomatoes, and quite well with wood carving. Ergonomics were middle of the road. Although the sheath looked good, as Mike noted, I would be worried about losing the knife. Still good and sharp at the end. If I were a scandi grind fan, I would be interested in getting one.

Bush Monkey - Didn't cut food well, but excelled with wood and rope. The handle didn't work for me. Nice and light.
This has been my experience with scandi grinds on food. They don't come close to the performance that a flat or convex grind does. However, the thinner the stock the better the scandi performs. When doing food prep my sub 3/32" thick mora does relatively well but I've owned 1/8" thick scandis that blew chunks at food prep. I think where scandis really shine is on thin stock steel.

Thanks to the testers for doing the grunt work.

I say a chopper/camp knife with a 8-10 inch blade range. One that can be used to process wood, game animals a do all knife. All but 2 of my custom knives are in the 8-11 inch blade length. I use them to gut skin and process wild game. I think a lot of guy's over look this size as for processing wood only. Let me just say the American Indians that lived in the big woods always wanted to trade for knives with 9 inch plus blades.I have always figured they lived off the land so there must be some thing to that way of thinking. I tell you what you get weird looks when you pull out an 8 inch blade knife and gut a deer with it. Just rambling I know we had a camp knife challenge but those were all 4-6inch blades. just my 2 cents but damn would I love to see what the makers come up with.

An 8"-10" chopper challenge has my vote!

I suggest that we move the conversation about future challenges to Koyote's "where do we do the next challenge?" sticky. At some point in the near future this thread will be unstuck and locked (per mods). My hope is we can keep Koyote's thread alive as a W&SS sticky to discuss future challenges.

JChasVD is right.... lets keep this thread about the necker challange.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back