w1 steel

Bailey Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have nearly unlimited access to w1 steel. (nicholson files, a local company throws out about a dozen a week) I have been able to heat and quench it successfully, but I am not sure at what temperature to temper it. Can someone let me know what to set the oven at. I would appreciate it.

OK,this is what I've got on W-1:
Although it is a water hardening steel oil is best quench - use a fast oil.
Carbon ranges from .60 to 1.40
Forge at 1800 to 1900
Harden at 1400 to 1550 (use non-magnetic to determine)
Temper at 350 to 650 for Rc 64 to 50

I would reconmend a temper of 425 to 450 to avoid brittleness,test one at that and adjust higher if needed.
The ranges of temperatures are because you don't know what the carbon content is.

thanks, I did a temper at 440, which is what I have been using for the 5160 that I have with good results, but the w1 seemed to turn a color closer to blue than did the other steel. I have learned to rely more on temperature than on color, so I guess what I did should work pretty well. thanks again for the info.

p.s. where can I get quenching oil? I have been using olive oil, but have been told that even though olive oil works well, actual quenching oil is better.

Centaur forge,any blacksmith supply,and the knife supply companies sell it.ATF works fine,too.Try to find a place that you can get a 5gal pail of it,and if you don't have to have it shipped it will be a big plus.Medium quench is the best for all around use,if you are only to have one oil.

For tools steels, such as W1 is, if you get blues from tempering I recommend repeating the heat treat and temper at a lower temperature. Blues are an indication of the brittleness Bladesmith warned of above. Use a reliable oven thermometer and avoid tempering tool steels within the 500 to 700 F range.

RL

I agree with rlingr, blue temper is going to be too soft. I have been forging some blades out of W1 drill rod, man I like this steel very much. I accidentally tempered one into the purple blue range and it was a little to soft IMHO, I have sence put a new dig. controler on my oven an it's right on now :)

Don Hanson lll

sunfishman,
since you have been using the w1 with your digital controller, what temperature do you use for tempering?

Rodger, I play with W1 once in a while. It seems to have a very small window for the right temper. You say to avoid 500 to 700. I have found many of the files turn blue at 500. What do you recommend temperature wise?

Back