W2 vs D2

I was wondering if anyone here has ever did a edge retention comparison between W2 and D2. Just curious how they compare.

Just from experience, D2 would have far better edge retention. It is one of the most difficult steels to sharpen, but it also holds it edge forever.

D2 outperforms W2 in most ways, but W2 has better fine edge stability and a more durable edge in rough use.

W2 can make a great straight razor and a good chopper, where D2 is not very good for either, but D2 makes a great general purpose cutting tool that holds a good edge for a long time where W2 dulls from abrasive wear pretty quick.

if you just want to "cut" then d2 is a great steel. I tend towards the cpmD2. D2 holds a great edge but the RA needs to be dealt with..I also love W2 because you can take the edge down so thin without fear of damage..

Both very good. I prefer W2 for my personal knives.
Not found a steel that gets as sharp, ground very thin with fine edge stability at high Rc hardness.

i didn't test it, but i would guess if you set the test for sandpaper cutting the d2 would win, whereas w2 would win hands down on an hair popping competition ;)

^ truth

I see the difference in soft abrasive things like cardboard and animal hide, and industrial cutting applications such as trimming Kevlar fibers. D2 does well in soft abrasive material where its abrasion resistance shines and its so-so edge stability is less of an issue. I also think its large carbides help it cut mushy stuff like meat better, even when blunted, because it's toothy.

D2 really shines on deer..Ill say that for sure..Which to be honest hide and meat are my favorite mediums when testing a blade;) I love the process of obtaining them :D

Thanks for the answers fellas. I have used a lot of CPMD2 and regular D2 before CPM was available but have never used W2. I primarily make skinners and hunters. The only complaint I have had on D2 is resharpening it. I have one customer who owns a large company and has a large ranch leased for hunting deer. He takes clients and relatives to this lease and he has 6 D2 skinners that I made for him. They kill enough deer on this lease that I resharpen the knives for him at least twice a season. He does not like to resharpen the D2, says it takes too much time.

Just a random thought- I wonder how big a factor abrasion resistance is when you're using a wood cutting board, especially one that's side- rather than end-grain.

i don't know how much abrasion resistence could drive an edge into woodcutting, infact i wonder which comes first in diasbling the edge effectiveness in hand held knives, edge stability or wearing issues?
I would like to see comparative micrograph of "abraded" edges vs bent/chipped ones to help me get an idea.
My bias (read: bias) toward the subject is that even the dirt of the fur it is more likely to exert an impact like action on the apex (bending or chipping) way before abrading it to dullness. It doesn't detract nothing from the carbide teeth function, it is independent from the edge keeness

Back