Waistpack for day hiking?

I used to use a Maxpedition Thermite, then moved to a Fatboy (which my wife then took), then a Jumbo Fatboy for weekend EDC. Great for most use but then got a discounted red Mountainsmith Tour for our trip to Ireland.

Great for carrying lots of miscellaneous and got it cheap off of the Canadian version of the South American river site. Can hold loads of miscellaneous maps, guides, snacks, small first aid, ipad mini, camera, portable hard drive, portable wireless mini hub (for connecting to to transfer pics/videos from ipad/mem card to drive), small multi-tools, water bottle, etc. and I either strap my wind/rain shell in the bungees or stuff it crosswise across under the strapette harness and above the pack (makes it like 80s military webbing with buttpack). Now I've picked up the newer Mountainsmith Day which just fits my Lenovo T450 and other work-related stuff and using it with the strapette system. Nice size format for commuting and lighter than my regular backpack. With the strapette system, carries really well, and holds in place when used with all straps/buckles closed; no shifting about.

I just wish the Mountainsmith systems had more dividers internally or loop velcro inside so that it would be easier to add organizer pouches.

For years, I have used a Marmot Flathead and love it. I prefer carrying weight on my hips, not my shoulders. The side compression straps snug the pack to your back for great stability when climbing around on rocks. The straps also provide a place for knives, tools, etc. Also, I find waist packs are cooler in hot weather.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Back