Walking the alleyways of a mountain hamlet covered in snow…

Hi there! Winter here is still biting :). In the plains not so much snow (but still freeze during the nights); in the mountains close by here we had instead record snow fall this year, some places up to 3 meters :eek: ! Went up for a walk last week-end to check this out and eventually just stopped by a small hamlet, very picturesque covered in snow :cool:. Had a walk around for some shots and some chat with villagers, busy with... shoveling :D. To walk on the trails around the village, to get some pics from the distance, I had to put on the snow-shoes! Knife with me ZT 0909, no real action this time. Few pics, just to share :).

2Dycm.jpg
2Dyd9.jpg
2DydA.jpg
2DydU.jpg
2Dye6.jpg
2Dyeo.jpg
2DyeD.jpg
2DyeY.jpg
2Dyfk.jpg
2DyfA.jpg
2DyfS.jpg
2Dygb.jpg
2DygE.jpg
2Dyhb.jpg
2DyhF.jpg
2Dyi3.jpg
2Dyjd.jpg
2Dyk1.jpg
2DykX.jpg

Oh wow there are some beautiful photos there!! It's such a mystical looking place with the snow and grey skies. You're so lucky to live there and to be able to walk around those small towns and mountains.

One day maybe I will go there !! :( :)

Thanks Herlock for posting this. :thumbsup:

Real nice pics as usual there Herlock.. I did get a chill looking at those!! LOL!!:D Thanks for sharing!!:thumbsup: John

We missed another [ the forth ! ] storm yesterday .These often occur during March and depending on exact conditions you may get no snow or 15 inches !
I wonder about the pitch of those roofs in your mountains .They are very flat for that much snow . There is a small building in one photo that , at a distance looks like bread oven. The opening is round but with a very narrow slit to the ground . Is that to keep the animals out ? We've done that with stone fences.
Here this month we've had great damage and power out for a week or more .Finally the roads are clear , power returned . Pity the "city types " with no generators , wood stoves and food stored. But my crocuses are out even though they were buried under the snow ,Spring IS here !

Great pictures. Now my wife likes to look at them, I have to call her over whenever you post anything.

Hi there!

Currawong Currawong ; jmh33 jmh33 ; S Student762 ; WILLIAM.M WILLIAM.M ; L lambertiana : Thanks to all for stopping by and kind words, glad you liked the post :)!

mete mete : the bread/pizza oven :):D is, in reality, a small chapel, called “santella”, it has an iron gate. This one has a small altar inside and a couple of frescos, but rather recent. It’s not uncommon here. Scattered throughout our territory, especially on the roads from the houses to the woods and meadows, santelle give evidence of the religiousness of the people who used to live these villages. Besides being precious samples of folk art, these places of worship tell something about the culture and traditions of our ancestors. The Saints of these chapels were asked for protection, help and solace in difficult and distressful times of life, specially in these rugged lands and in ancient times. They also were the “paths of the soul” in everyday life, because prayer and the sacred were not confined to churches but extended to civil life. One would never pass by Our Lady of the Rosary santella without murmuring a short prayer and the small chapel is almost always adorned with spontaneous flowers still nowadays :).

More interesting, from an historical point of view, is the other small building, looking like a tower. This is very typical in the Bergamo valleys, it’s called “Roccolo”. The construction of these structures dates back to Medieval period, where hunting of big games was only permitted for nobles/aristocrats.

Woodsmen and peasants could not go hunting except with very rare exceptional permits, allowed by their "owners". But the hunger, that was a lot :):D, pushed many to devote themselves to hunting small game (neglected by the landowners). So peasants and woodsmen, who lived their lives in close contact with Nature and therefore knowing rhythms and frequentations (birds in the first place) began to build traps to capture them.

From the laces, to the nets, they moved briefly to the construction of the “Roccoli”, which were nothing but rustic and spontaneous architecture that mountains and conformation of the territory allowed and favoured. They consist mainly of a turret-shaped building, surrounded by trees, shrubs or climbing grasses to hide its visibility, around rows of trees in a circular row that intersected each other, to whose branches they were hanging up cages with call birds.

These “Roccoli” were built where the birds used to stop or pass. These buildings result harmoniously inserted in the landscape and underwent continuous transformations to make them more and more functional in order to capture the birds, since this meant eating and surviving for many families. Today they're not in use anymore, this type of hunting is forbidden by legislation but still work as bird refugees/shelters and some has been transformed into house dependences :).

Ciao!

Herlock, Thanks for the explanation on the "Roccoli" as I was going to ask about that, and for sharing these great photos. John

Beautiful pictures again, you spoil us making even grey days look beautifull.

Excellent photos every time.

I always enjoy your perspective. Nature and the centuries old architecture never fail to put a smile on my face.

Thank you for that!

Last edited:
Beautiful photos, one of my son's college roommates was from the Italian Alps. He showed me some astonishing photos of the alpine areas.

Back