1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation? Want new benchstones

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by calvinw, May 13, 2018.

1. calvinw

calvinw

Feb 28, 2012
    I'm looking to buy some new benchstones. I have a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket! I'm a decent sharpener. I currently have:

King 1000 and 6000
    Spyderco UF stone
    AlOx combo stone and SiC combo stone (both inherited)
    Spyderco Sharpmaker - Diamond through UF
    DMT Aligner - C through EF
    Strops - black, white and green compounds
    Axe puck

I like the feel of the Kings, they're a pleasure to use, and I like the simplicity of using only two stones, but I don't use them often anymore because of the forethought required for pre-soaking and because they make a mess (seems like I have to take over my small kitchen to use them).

I know I should eventually get a set of DMTs for the high vanadium blades, but they have no soul. I enjoy sharpening. I practically do it for fun - sharpening knives that aren't really dull in the first place. But the feel of using DMTs... they just feel like work to me. So, I'm not really looking to fill gaps. I'm looking for a new primary two stone solution that is nice to use.

2. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    You should try out a 1K in either Naniwa Chosera or Shapton Glass lines.
    Both are splash and go and cut fast and have excellent feedback.

You already have an excellent setup so any more stones are just extra cream to keep things interesting.

3. calvinw

calvinw

Feb 28, 2012
    Seems like for the Chosera/Pro, the consensus favors the 1000 and 3000 stones (or 800 and 3000).

What's the consensus on the Shapton glass? Looks like people like 500 and 2000. The Glass stones seem to be a lot less expensive. Does the 5mm last long compared to the Chosera/Pro?

4. aleforme

aleforme Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I started using the Shapton Glass stones a few months ago and really like them. Prior to this, I was using DMT diamonds and Sypderco Ceramics. I still use the DMT and Spyderco stones but I really like the Shaptons. They are very low wearing stones that require minimal maintenance. Juts splash and go. They have a really nice feel and feedback to them IMO. Currently I use the Double Thick 500, 2000 and 6000. To be honest, I often stop with the 2000. It's a great stone and leaves a really nice edge.

5. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    +1

The extra thick 500 and 2000 are great stones, I have almost every Glass stone in the line, but the 500 and 2k are about the only ones that I ever still use. I would recommend the Atoma 140 diamond plate to go with them, they are very hard stones and you will absolutely need a good diamond plate to lap them.

jc57 and mycough like this.