Wanted: Stellite 6K

I'm not absolutely sure that I posted this in the correct area of the site, but after looking around the different forums, this seemed like the most appropriate area. If it's not, please accept my apologies.

I'm looking for a piece of Stellite 6K that is 5 1/2" x 1 3/4" (or bigger) that has a thickness between .160" and .190". I have searched all over for it, but nobody I've talked to has a piece in that size. From what I've been told, DeLoro has a $2000 minimum order, and I can't afford that kind of investment on the material right now.

If anyone has a piece that they can help me out with, I would hugely appreciate it. If you are a maker with a supply of Stellite and are reluctant to part with any, I am willing to pay extra for it to make it worth your while.

Also, if anyone knows of any alternative sources of 6K, please post here. Thanks all!

You're right about that, but I've been told by some makers I really respect that Stellite is stronger stuff, so it would be preferable to Talonite and Vascowear.

Vascowear is a Cr-Mo-W-V steel, isn't it? Sorta like Cruwear? Stellite 6K and Talonite are Cobalt-Cr-Tungtsen with minimal iron.

George Young is an Indiana maker well known for his Stellite6K work. I have a paring knife of his that is a dandy little cutter. He sorta cornered the market on the remaining 6K supply in the US some years back, IIRC (may well be wrong). He may be able to help you locate a vendor stateside. His telephone number listed in Knives 2006 is 765-457-8893. Nice old guy.

i think it will cost somewhere around $200/lb or so, atleast talonite does, from what ive heard talonite is "better" than stellite 6k, could be wrong tho... i would love to have a few lb of any of those to play with. i hope you find any

You are going to LOVE the ease with which it grinds and polishes (NOT).I have been doing a Persian blade from dendritic cobalt (cast stelite 6B) and it is a B***H to smooth down.It is slow work.I have about six hours of sanding in the blade and it is not yet a good 400 finish.It takes a beautiful polish,but every little sanding flaw shows up.I'm thinking of bead blasting it and letting the polish go.

Back