War hammer? Makers mark ID

I'm no historian, but a perfectly round handle is rarely, if ever, chosen for a tool or a weapon (not suggesting there is proof that the handle is original but the eye is round and the rivet/pin seems to be part of the original design). An entirely iron or steel handle wouldn't have been either. And it looks cast or potentially drop forged, which should provide a window for age.

....... or that's all wrong and it's 500 years old.

I'm no historian, but a perfectly round handle is rarely, if ever, chosen for a tool or a weapon (not suggesting there is proof that the handle is original but the eye is round and the rivet/pin seems to be part of the original design). An entirely iron or steel handle wouldn't have been either. And it looks cast or potentially drop forged, which should provide a window for age.

....... or that's all wrong and it's 500 years old.

I've never seen anything genuine pinned like that, either. Usually it's friction fit and wedged or welded in some manner. I'm not saying it wouldn't put the wallop on somebody. What's the shaft made from? It's so aged I can't tell if it's wood or metal on the bottom. It looks heavy and these weapons were generally lighter than most would think. Just my opinion.

Back