War kwaiken in Crucible S7 and carbon fiber **JOEY P. VIDEO ADDED**

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
Finished this one up for a friend while I'm working on other stuff, and avoiding doing yet other stuff.

This kwaiken features a 5-1/2" blade of .200" Crucible S7 steel, with an overall length of 10-1/2". The handle has been built up and contoured, with a tiny touch of coffin handle swell to the butt, then sleeved in carbon fiber soaked in aerospace resin, and finally wrapped in carbon fiber lace, which was also soaked.

46922268982_60fdda7aac_b.jpg

A closeup of the handle, as the detail tends to get lost in the overall photo:

46922440562_c4c93424f3_c.jpg

Thanks for looking, gang.

I love every bit of it. Good clear handle photo and the blade grinds. I'm impressed.

Is there any bevel or does this thing just end in the sharpest edge ever? Yikes.

Thanks, everyone. These are such a common occurrence in my repertoire that I fear they’ll define me in people’s minds, and that’s a worry. I find the basic form tremendously appealing, though, and that’s why it keeps recurring. Adding simple refinements, like the slightly bulked up handle and then sleeving it in carbon fiber is a nice way to shift the traditional design and make improvements on it without ruining the point of balance (just to the back of the turk’s head knot, on this one), I think.

dat's bootyfull. Kwaiken tooo......Matthew.

Giger’s work always represents that awkward juncture between revulsion and base sexual drive. I can totally see the parallel, here.

Matt I wish you were my friend :)

You are my friend, buddy!

I love every bit of it. Good clear handle photo and the blade grinds. I'm impressed.

Is there any bevel or does this thing just end in the sharpest edge ever? Yikes.

Thanks, Coop! This one will have a microbevel, but it will be small - I sharpen AFTER I take photos. It’s a luxury I can afford that’s not given to you. Not sure how you don’t end up slicing the bejeezuz out of yourself doing this as much as you do...

Reactions: mb>
i have not seen a post from you in a while, i am glad you are still among the makers :rolleyes: . nice looking piece ! i like the interplay of textures between the wrap & underlayer.

Back