Warning on 153's

I just found an ad on ebay for a 153 made in USA.At top of the description it says in colored letters this knife is a USA knife.You have to read two paragraphs to find it is a Taylor made in China.I emailed the seller to ask how they could lie about this.No reply yet.Ad #6596293000.Check it out.Toby

TAYLOR UNCLE HENRY 171UH PRO HUNTER w/Sheath-NIB
Item number: 6596293000
BE SURE TO CHECKOUT ALL OUR OTHER HARD TO FIND U.S.A. SCHRADE KNIVES AND NUMEROUS OTHER ITEMS IN OUR EBAY STORE . " THANKS FOR LOOKING"

SCHRADE UNCLE HENRY 171UH PRO HUNTER

NEW PRODUCTION FROM TAYLOR BRANDS CUTLERY

Yes, he does carry some USA Schrades in his Ebay store. But he describes the 171UH chitaylor that you referenced accurately.
Codger :confused:

That ad was changed in the time it took me to type him my question,then come here and start my thread.That ad is compleatly different than the first one I saw.I guess I should change or delete this thread.Toby

If the seller is the same, that is Jim Coleman, and he is honest. I've delt with him on Schrades. Shade River Shooting Supplies And Knife Works is his store name (it is brick and mortar too), and he is one of the few selling Taylor knives who has always been upfront about their origin. Here is one of his TBLLC 153 listings : #6569023863 and here is his U.S. Imperial Schrade 153 listings: #6590360722 .

I don't doubt that you saw what you saw, but I do doubt he did it intentionally. And whatever his mistake, he evidently corrected it quickly.

Codger

To have changed that ad that fast he must have been changing it already.I don't doubt it may have been an honest mistake.Toby

Maybe the only way a downed guy can get back up is to play dirty, made in China style.............

You know, made in China is NOT a problem, the problem is how your money is spend after you bought that "made in China" knife.

You know, the mainland Chinese goverment (red China) is threatening the peace in Asia, by threatening Taiwan. Let me tell you, they dont need Taiwan.............they just want to take it to show their domination, kinda like a power to deprive people of their liberties.............

I know it happens here too in USA, about some in the goverment who would like to deprive you of your dignity, like the right to privacy...........(similar like Bush spying on American citizen WITHOUT a court warrant)....you got to be vigilant........the wicked are out there trying to deprive you of all your rights and happiness.

When election time comes, do your civic duty, weed them out.

Juice

This thread is heading for the political forum... a place here on the site I intensely dislike.

The subject is China made masquerading as USA made. Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marbles-Fish-Kn...595374004QQcategoryZ43335QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yep, the great old name (whoever owns it now) of Marbles reduced to making copies of Geo. Schrade's classic little all stainless outdoorsman's knife. Both Webster and George must be rolling over in their graves. Although the seller doesn't state it, this knife is made in China.

I can't knock the Chinese for this... they are making these things for their American Masters, you know.

Phil

I have been actively avoiding the political side of the china made knives when reviewing and discussing these TBLLC offerings for just that reason, Phil. In this thread, where the prime subject is the honesty of purveyors of these products, I prefer to keep the same tack. Or is that tact.

Here is one seller who is obviously not knowledgable about his product. He touts a chinese copy of the venerable 15OT as being an Uncle Henry knife. Later in his schtick, he claims that TBLLC actually owns the factory in china.

eBay seller said:
These Schrade Uncle Henry Knives are highly collectible. These knives are MINT, brand new, unused, never sharpened and come straight from the U.S.A. owned Taylor Factory in China.

We also now know these sheaths to not be leather, but reconstituted leather. Gift box????

eBay seller said:
This Classic comes with a Beautiful Custom Leather Belt Sheaths with belt loop. Comes with attractive gift box and Schrade's Knife Care instruction sheet.

Now, as this thread originally started out, the question is... is this just an uninformed seller? Or is it a P.T. Barnum type of listing? No, I didn't waste my time e-mailing the seller to cast my pearls, and will not. Evidently enough people are willing to buy this crap (the hype and the knives) to make it worthwhile for listings like this to exist. My angst aside, he does clearly identify the origin of the knife, unlike some sellers, though he far over rates (miss-states) the quality of the product he is offering.

Codger

This type of thing is what I've dreaded and anticipated since the Schrade name was sold to taylor, the associating of a honorable name with a inferior, chi-made product. You can now buy a Marbles, Remington, Schrade, Browning, etc., labled chi-com, knife-like object for about 20$ and many uninformed and uncaring buyers are doing just that:barf:

I would rather just buy a Rough Rider and know that I'm getting what I see and pay for, a imported knife of not linked to a made in the USA brand of historical importance to knife collectors.

I will just continue to support US manufacturers with my $ and try to inform and urge others to do likewise before we see a Case or Queen "international" series of knives, which would only pave the way for the eventual sell out of those brands also. I continue to buy US Schrades also, but this is only for my own satisfaction, as no $ will ever make they're way back to Ellenville. That slow boat to china has already sailed.

Juiceseller said:
Maybe the only way a downed guy can get back up is to play dirty, made in China style.............

You know, made in China is NOT a problem, the problem is how your money is spend after you bought that "made in China" knife.

You know, the mainland Chinese goverment (red China) is threatening the peace in Asia, by threatening Taiwan. Let me tell you, they dont need Taiwan.............they just want to take it to show their domination, kinda like a power to deprive people of their liberties.............

I know it happens here too in USA, about some in the goverment who would like to deprive you of your dignity, like the right to privacy...........(similar like Bush spying on American citizen WITHOUT a court warrant)....you got to be vigilant........the wicked are out there trying to deprive you of all your rights and happiness.

When election time comes, do your civic duty, weed them out.

Juice

I dont know what planet your from but Bush cant run again! And the first step in giving up your freedoms is by voting for a @#$% Liberal! Oh by the way i used to have a few knives stamped Taiwan R.O.C. (Taiwan Republic Of China) So nothing new there.

I started this thread as a simple warning to tell everyone to be sure to read the whole description in the ads on ebay.Since some of you are intent on making this a political debate I think our moderator should just delete the whole thread.I don't come here to read your opinions on politics.I'm prejudiced enough on my on.Phil, do the forum a favor and delete this thread.Toby

I'm only the Marguerita Moderator. I can't delete the thread. But we can all, as gentlemen, agree to end it here. It was a valid, good thread you started, Toby.

I apologize, i get into this every where i go even shopping! The only thing that seperates us from the rest of the world is our freedoms and constitutional rights and yes i am a patriot and do not take any of it for granted especially my right to voice my opinion, i do however know that this is not the place to do such and i hope you guys will accept my apology.

No apologies necessary between friends. This whole China-Schrade thing gets all of us upset, me included.
Phil

textoothpk said:
No apologies necessary between friends. This whole China-Schrade thing gets all of us upset, me included.
Phil

One of the formula in economic survival is to "EMIGRATE"...........However, my 2 cents say Schrade should let other countries make their knives instead of China. Take Nepal, for example.........them factories there that are turning out gurkha can easily be retooled to make trapper or stockman knife like old daddy-o used to make, eh

Cheers,

Juice

Back