Warning on PM2 10V

You guys all assume that was loktite. Could have been a misaligned screw. Generally, Spyderco liners are harder than their clip screws, and it's possible to misalign a screw, ruin it or and get it stuck. The screws are so soft that it's annoying sometimes, in particular on Spydercos from Taiwan.

That's why I always start counterclockwise until I hear a click, then screw the screw in clock-wise. Anyways, John, sent you a PM.

Roland.

Wiha bits actually, but I agree on cheap ones being a bad choice.

I was eventually able to get it off by applying flame and turning the clip round and round (the final screw), here’s the aftermath, scorched G10 and all.

View attachment 1309038 View attachment 1309039 View attachment 1309040

The last screw is the one shown, it’s hard to take a good pic being so small but it had some kind of “substance” all over it and was a darker color black than the others were. Also, it left a sticky black residue in both on the clip and in the screw threads.

Also two things to mention, and coming from me this should say a lot since I’m a huge Spyderco fan and have been around here a long time:

1) Spyderco CS more or less disregarded and dismissed me when I called them and told them something was up. They literally said there was no way it was secured by a chemical and then said they charge for repairs caused by damage.

2) REC never responded to me at all...this is my first and last purchase from them.

Hey John, How did you try to contact us? We do our best to make sure to get back to all messages we receive via social media and have been monitoring voicemails and emails. Let me know! We apologize that there wasn't a response, we never want our customers to feel neglected. We get thousands of messages when exclusives drop, and it gets a little hectic, but know we are doing our best to make sure everyone is satisfied!

My REC Para 2 10V had zero locktite on the clip. It was an easy breezy switch. I cannot imagine why a manufacturer would put thread locker on a part where the knife is designed to allow the enduser to change the location the part based on personal preference. REC has always been very good in regards to customer service in comparison to some other knife distributors I have dealt with. My two cents.

My REC Para 2 10V had zero locktite on the clip. It was an easy breezy switch. I cannot imagine why a manufacturer would put thread locker on a part where the knife is designed to allow the enduser to change the location the part based on personal preference. REC has always been very good in regards to customer service in comparison to some other knife distributors I have dealt with. My two cents.

In the last few weeks I’ve taken a closer look at the screws, there definitely was a foreign substance on it (not sure what since it turned black and tarry from heat); I can’t totally discount the possibility that there may have been a threading issue at the factory and the normal locker (which is easily removed) was irrelevant to the discussion.

In any case, have an MXG clip coming tomorrow anyway (which was always the plan).

There’s an interesting edge retention test up on YT now, it’s tested against the BBS K390 model, which performs significantly better.

I have a lot of cardboard to cut soon, will be interested to see how it does.

Cool brother. Glad its working out for you. I have an MXG clip coming for mine as well. Ive heard goods things about them and wanted to try it out.

Based on what I've seen on various threads and my personal experience, I think Spyderco customer service needs an overhaul, or at least an internal review. Instead of being more open and receptive when the customer is already frustrated, they play it tough like everything that leaves the factory is perfect and you are wrong or are being too picky if something isn't right.

Instead of being dismissive and discouraging the customer to send it in, it would have cost them return shipping, a little labor, and a few cents in hardware to fix the problem. I get it, OP should have sent it in, but this was an overall customer service fail IMO. It would be cheaper still and even better reputation wise to do it right in the first place, but I understand things can happen in production. Just fix it when it happens and don't belittle the customer and you're doing it right.

I still think Spydercos are fantastic top-tier knives and things DO get fixed when you send it in, it's just not always a pleasant experience.

A bonus story: About 10 years ago I called that company with the butterfly logo when I bent a pocket clip on a door latch. My fault, my responsibility. I asked what it would cost to buy a new pocket clip and they were tripping over themselves, ready to send me a new clip free of charge before I even got the words out of my mouth. Not every company has to be like that, but at least try to do a little better than the current status quo.

I'm trying to understand the rationale here. There are numerous ways to remove stuck/stripped/loctited/rocset/etc screws. Why torch your G10 on an exclusive sprint run knife? Why not google a better way, or ask here? Why not just send it in to Spyderco? Why ruin your knife?

I'm an NFA guy, so I am constantly changing muzzle devices. Many of which are over torqued, rocset, or pinned on. I'd never dream of ruining my firearms to take a muzzle device off, instead I'd send it to a professional if I couldn't do it myself.

The scorch really isn’t that bad in person, I had to use a torch since I don’t have a soldering iron and with corona wasn’t going to go out and get one.

As to REC, I emailed them after I noticed issues but before it got really bad, really all I asked was if they thought I should contact Spyderco or if they can help, my suspicion was/is that there are probably others with QC issues in this run, there’s a pic of one on the official forum that came with a big crack in the scale for example. I wasn’t looking for them to replace it, but any response at all would be nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-...qid=1588360981&sprefix=solder,aps,249&sr=8-15

Based on what I've seen on various threads and my personal experience, I think Spyderco customer service needs an overhaul, or at least an internal review. Instead of being more open and receptive when the customer is already frustrated, they play it tough like everything that leaves the factory is perfect and you are wrong or are being too picky if something isn't right.

Instead of being dismissive and discouraging the customer to send it in, it would have cost them return shipping, a little labor, and a few cents in hardware to fix the problem. I get it, OP should have sent it in, but this was an overall customer service fail IMO. It would be cheaper still and even better reputation wise to do it right in the first place, but I understand things can happen in production. Just fix it when it happens and don't belittle the customer and you're doing it right.

I still think Spydercos are fantastic top-tier knives and things DO get fixed when you send it in, it's just not always a pleasant experience.

A bonus story: About 10 years ago I called that company with the butterfly logo when I bent a pocket clip on a door latch. My fault, my responsibility. I asked what it would cost to buy a new pocket clip and they were tripping over themselves, ready to send me a new clip free of charge before I even got the words out of my mouth. Not every company has to be like that, but at least try to do a little better than the current status quo.

My "bonus" story I needed screws for a knife (because I lost one) @tazkristi sent me 2 sets out and new clip for free because it was an older knife and she wasn't sure of the version.

They didn't fit so I sent the knife in from Canada and someone in the shop milled down the long ones and got the fit right.

All my mistake cost me was some time and the postage to send it to Colorado. This was recently so I think they're doing just fine.

My "bonus" story I needed screws for a knife (because I lost one) @tazkristi sent me 2 sets out and new clip for free because it was an older knife and she wasn't sure of the version.

They didn't fit so I sent the knife in from Canada and someone in the shop milled down the long ones and got the fit right.

All my mistake cost me was some time and the postage to send it to Colorado. This was recently so I think they're doing just fine.
I'm really glad to hear that. I think it depends on who you talk to.

You may have a cheap bit that does not fit the screw-head correctly - very common with China-made. If you think one was seriously Loc-Tited then hold a soldering iron tip in the well of the screw-head for a minute. That will dissolve even Red Loc-Tite. Just don't melt your G10.

^ I have to give you kudos. You tried your best to offer some sound, rational advice...which in the end (a day later), turned out to be, prophetic. :thumbsup:

Mesothelioma

^ :D

I'm trying to understand the rationale here. There are numerous ways to remove stuck/stripped/loctited/rocset/etc screws. Why torch your G10 on an exclusive sprint run knife? Why not google a better way, or ask here? Why not just send it in to Spyderco? Why ruin your knife?

I'd send it to a professional if I couldn't do it myself

^ Perfectly stated! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
REC is top notch. I’m local to them. I would call them before checking with email, although I’m not really sure what they could really do at this point.

The scorch really isn’t that bad in person, I had to use a torch since I don’t have a soldering iron and with corona wasn’t going to go out and get one.
What were you thinking here? Have you ever heard of Amazon?

They've got them for less than $20 to high dollar ones..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back