WARNING: Schrade bait and switch...RIPOFF ALERT

But in fairness the original could take that abuse. The new one cannot. He probably wouldn't have had as big of a problem with it if the new one could survive the beating. Now the original did get damaged. But it didn't fail. These new ones seem pretty crappy in comparison. I totally see why he is miffed.

you arent following the posts properly. he said and i quote...

Calling it a pry bar is a gross hyperbole.

so i said in fairness the design guy is using it like a prybar, which he is. there was no discussion or debating from me in my posts on which grind or design was better or worse etc.

Hm, is anyone aware of a supporting dealer that would have an original Jess X? Really dig the design.

so i said in fairness the design guy is using it like a prybar, which he is. there was no discussion or debating from me in my posts on which grind or design was better or worse etc.

There has been extensive testing on the original Jess X model, and while it held up under prying tests, it performed outstanding in knife as well. You're making a statement based on one video that focused on extreme strength testing. So calling it a pry bar is simply a bad analysis. Dozens of other reviews on youtube document that the Jess X excels in cutting and chopping tests, you know, knife stuff. There is no debate as to which design was superior, its the one that performed better and didn't break. There is no way anyone can portray this design change as any sort of improvement.

I am sympathetic to the designer. But he's dealing with a corporation, not a friend. If you give a corporation the rights to use your name on a knife you designed, make sure your contact says that company can't make design changes without your permission.

There has been extensive testing on the original Jess X model, and while it held up under prying tests, it performed outstanding in knife as well. You're making a statement based on one video that focused on extreme strength testing. So calling it a pry bar is simply a bad analysis. Dozens of other reviews on youtube document that the Jess X excels in cutting and chopping tests, you know, knife stuff. There is no debate as to which design was superior, its the one that performed better and didn't break. There is no way anyone can portray this design change as any sort of improvement.
didn't call it a prybar...said the designer did use it like one in this video which is what we are talking about. youre fighting a fight no one is fighting with you. least not me.

didn't call it a prybar...said the designer did use it like one in this video which is what we are talking about. youre fighting a fight no one is fighting with you. least not me.

You implied that testing a heavy duty chopping blade in prybar like tasks isn't a valid test for a knife, or you at least implied that these abilities are less important than fine slicing abilities. I strenuously disagree. If I buy a knife in this class, I would rather it performed better in the prybar tests than being able to filet a fish, slice paper, or shave hair. I'm just saying there is no way to say this new design is better than the original. It's a travesty any way you look at it.

You implied that testing a heavy duty chopping blade in prybar like tasks isn't a valid test for a knife, or you at least implied that these abilities are less important than fine slicing abilities. I strenuously disagree. If I buy a knife in this class, I would rather it performed better in the prybar tests than being able to filet a fish, slice paper, or shave hair. I'm just saying there is no way to say this new design is better than the original. It's a travesty any way you look at it.

no i didnt i kidded on you being offended that another poster did call it like that when the designer was using it in his video as such. you are creating your own interpretations and they aint what is being said or happening.

like i said already you are fighting a fight no one else is fighting. not sure why you are?

Yep, my bad. Apologies.

He failed to get his contract set up right, but I bet he let his guard down cause one of the Taylor Boyd got chummy with him!. I been happy with their new pocket knifes but I feel for Chris!

I love my SCHF37's. I am thinking of getting a third. Just fantastic knives for 29 bucks. They take just as much abuse as knives 5 times their cost. Easy to sharpen and hold a good edge. All around good HT. Not bad for a beater!

Wow. That's really disappointing. I wasn't a big fan of Schrade/Taylor but at least was able to respect the fact that they were taking steps to gradually up their game. That's not easily done, and they were actually making some progress. Now some bean-counter just shot them in the foot. Oh well.

Is there much savings, if any, in switching from a low flat grind to a low hollow grind?

Yes. As Chris mentions in the video a two-wheel grinder is used in manufacturing to grind both sides of the blade at once, in a single operation.

I own two schrades. A schf36 and schf37. These are definitely a great knives for the money and hope they continue to be so under S&W

Isn't S&W now called Outdoor Brands Inc?
S&W, or corporate, likes to find cheap gear to slap their reliable name on and it's rediculous since it cheapens the overall brand.
This in particular is sad as it was one of the only knives from them I had ever considered way down the line.

Lots of drama in the OP video over a $50 knife. I'm sure he has a legitimate gripe, but he also has a considerable grudge. They changed the design. Take a deep breath and move on.

Last edited:
Lots of drama in the OP video over a $50 knife. I'm sure he has a legitimate gripe, but he also has a considerable grudge. They changed the design. Take a deep breath and move on.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but if you were a knife designer and not just a consumer I bet you would have a much different view on this... I have no skin in the game, I frankly think it is a ridiculous knife. One I would never have a need for or a want but that is besides the point. What Schrade did is extremely shady and for the people that buy and enjoy their knives should be very wary of what else they will do to save money in the future. I, for one am glad Mr. Tanner is informing his audience of what had happened because Schrade has proven that they were going to try to just scam people with a bait and switch of a knife design... possibly with changes to steel type and/or hardness. Shame on Schrade.

That knife looks weird. I especially don't want it near my face. Scharade is up to something with this one.

Back