Was Suspended from School for Having Leatherman Micra. Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I carried a Victorinox Spartan in my left front pocket every day for all four years of high school, mostly because I went straight from school to work, where I actually needed it. If I ever needed to use it, and I can't actually remember a specific time when I did, it was a no-brainer that I wouldn't be using it where/when there was even a remote chance of a faculty member seeing me. It's just not worth it. Why take the chance of compromising your academic endeavors going forward because of something like a loose thread?

I'm all about being able to responsibly carry knives, but I think this was your fault. You knew the rule and broke it. . . For a string? Just rip it off. If it really bothers you or you don't want to hurt your clothes or whatever just walk to the bathroom (nothing wrong with a bathroom break from class). It kind if boggles my mind that you didn't expect this when you pulled out a knife (any knife) in a high school classroom. (Side note, I'm two years out of high school, so I do know it sucks being restricted. But things like this will likely bring more restrictions)

I'm all about being able to responsibly carry knives, but I think this was your fault. You knew the rule and broke it. . . For a string? Just rip it off. If it really bothers you or you don't want to hurt your clothes or whatever just walk to the bathroom (nothing wrong with a bathroom break from class). It kind if boggles my mind that you didn't expect this when you pulled out a knife (any knife) in a high school classroom. (Side note, I'm two years out of high school, so I do know it sucks being restricted. But things like this will likely bring more restrictions)

Exactly. Some of these people think they are being smart or cool by flaunting or disregarding rules or laws. They think their defiance will change them. In reality though, all they are doing is making proper grounds for further restrictions and making it even harder for those abiding people to try to change the restrictions. In the case of the knife world here, it additionally casts a bad light on users and hobbyists alike.

Exactly. Some of these people think they are being smart or cool by flaunting or disregarding rules or laws. They think their defiance will change them. In reality though, all they are doing is making proper grounds for further restrictions and making it even harder for those abiding people to try to change the restrictions. In the case of the knife world here, it additionally casts a bad light on users and hobbyists alike.

Excellent post.

Moose

Don't worry, you're probably approaching 18 now. Then you have nearly full rights and can be thrown in jail as an adult. :D I know when I was that age, I couldn't wait to finish school and turn 18 and then turn 21. Lots of living and learning to do.

I graduated in1996. Even where I went to school, mainly farming areas, it well known even back then it was not ok to bring a knife of any type/size on school property. Even having a micra while being about the smallest blade should not have been openly used, especially in class. The reaction was most likely over the top but use of the knife, no matter how its attempted to be justified was wrong.

I carried a pocket knife almost everyday from about 3rd grade on. One teacher asked at one time if someone had a pocket knife if they would open something for her. Common sense has been run out of the public school system.

The OP had a responsibility to know his schools rule/policy. He chose to be ignorant of them. He chose to disobey them. He caused his own problem and now has to pay the consequences for his actions.

I would agree with Karda, and many other posters, on principle, but...

Also, it all worked out in the end. I just transferred to a much nicer technical school, and three out of the five schooldays, we do our schooling downtown. I openly carry my Leatherman Surge, Blacked out Manix 2 XL, and a shiny, brand new Micra on my keys.

I'm not so sure there was much of a consequence... in the end.

-Brett

I carried a pocket knife almost everyday from about 3rd grade on. One teacher asked at one time if someone had a pocket knife if they would open something for her. Common sense has been run out of the public school system.

3rd grade carrying a pocket knife, and the teacher asked if any student had one? :confused:

OP, first my congratulations on your use of the King's English, refreshing to see and it will be a great advantage to you in life. I wish you a good and happy life.
From my reading, you didn't make some protest or 'flaunt' your knife. You wanted to cut a thread. Bad timing today, but I believe you just wanted to cut a thread, something that not long ago would have been 100% normal.

At this point in the thread I'm sure you have taken all the varying input above and are processing it.
High school for me was a very different era, before zero tolerance and before the current state of 'mass hysterical neurosis' came to be. Many kids (and teachers) carried Swiss Army Knives and various pocket whittling knives, and the farm kids often had a leather-holstered Buck 110 on their belt that would be used on farm chores as soon as they got off the bus. Pickup trucks frequently had shotguns and .30-.30s in the racks and many a teacher's car had a .38 in the glovebox. All legal, no worries, and that was the world. In that time the incident you describe would have been unthinkable, no matter how mentally unbalanced or prone to hysteria your female teacher might have been.

Flash forward a couple of decades. You are growing up now, in a society where Zero Tolerance rules, along with a long laundry list of PC paranoid hysterical neuroses that pass as ever multiplying, ever more restrictive 'rules'. Our societal trajectory is that in your lifetime the rules of personal behavior will become steadily more restrictive, less free, and hysterical over-reactions to an imaginary non-threat will no longer be considered hysterical at all.

Many people seem unaware that Britain has passed, and mercilessly enforces with arrests and prison sentences, insanely draconian laws on knife possession and use. 90% of the prized collections of many of the members of this forum, and much of what is freely bought and sold on The Exchange, is now a felony crime to possess in Britain. Any blade over 3" that is capable of being locked (like a SAK)is a crime to be out in public with, and yes decent law-abiding citizens in Britain go to jail all the time, astonished that they have broken the law when no harm was intended. Having completely outlawed possession of all handguns, even nonworking antiques, the same societal forces proceeded to lobby to basically outlaw any knife that could conceivably be used as a weapon. Knives are now treated like illegal handguns.
So, no more 'hobbyists' or 'users'.
That's the society the US seems to be heading for. OP, you want to think about and prepare yourself for that. That is the society your adult life will be spent in. You can choose the most tolerant state and city, but prohibitions eventually spread everywhere.
Don't let a perfectly normal adolescent interest in knives get you into serious trouble.
Any one of these disapproving posters above could be on your jury, and some of them sound pretty prepared to let the book be thrown at you because you broke the rules.

Last edited:
Common sense has been run out of the public school system.

Not really. I was in high school just over 10yrs ago and it was fairly common for fights to occur. Imagine what might happen if students were allowed to bring knives to school? Sure, the responsible knife users that most of us are wouldn't make that mistake, but there are A LOT of goofballs. They are the ones who force the public school system to hold these kind of zero tolerance policies.

Not really. I was in high school just over 10yrs ago and it was fairly common for fights to occur. Imagine what might happen if students were allowed to bring knives to school? Sure, the responsible knife users that most of us are wouldn't make that mistake, but there are A LOT of goofballs. They are the ones who force the public school system to hold these kind of zero tolerance policies.
There were fights when I was in high school 35-40 years ago. Kids had knives too, and there was no blood in the hallways. Zero tolerance is to make it easy on administrators who have zero sense to soundly judge.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's depressing to have to make rules based on the lowest common denominator, so to speak, but that's the reality of the situation. Morons outweigh non-morons. I went to a top 5 high school in New York City from 2003-2007 and there were no less than ten stabbing incidents during my time there. Only one of them, that I recall, was fatal. A kid got stabbed like 45 times. There were gigantic brawls between hordes of kids on Flatbush avenue, one of the busiest causeways in Brooklyn. These bastards would use their master locks that we needed for gym class as blunt weapons and would beat each other's brains in. If all of those kids had sanctioned knives, it could have been a real maelstrom.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's depressing to have to make rules based on the lowest common denominator, so to speak, but that's the reality of the situation.
It's only reality because that is what administrators choose to do. They don't "have to" make such rules, but by making such it's easier on them rather than requiring themselves to deal with the "lowest common denominator". No different than "can't trust one, so trust none". Anyone in the real world with that attitude will never become an effective formal or informal leader or facilitator. He'll quickly become toxic.

...well everyone in the world knows that knives are considered a weapon, and no one cares how big or small they are, they are knives...

Maybe where you're from they're considered a weapon but here in Canada, as well as many other places in the world, knives are a tool unless they're used to intimidate or harm someone.

It's only reality because that is what administrators choose to do. They don't "have to" make such rules, but by making such it's easier on them rather than requiring themselves to deal with the "lowest common denominator". No different than "can't trust one, so trust none". Anyone in the real world with that attitude will never become an effective formal or informal leader or facilitator. He'll quickly become toxic.

Actually, Its a reality because selfish people and criminals don't follow laws or rules as it suits them, forcing those that have the authority to do so to enact laws/rules/policies to correct these behaviors. The poorer the behavior and the more these behaviors happen, the more rules are put in place to combat them. It's not the "administrators" fault that they have to do this, but the fault of the people whom choose to break or flaunt the rules/laws. Lack of common sense, selfishness, discourtesy and greed are ruining it for everyone else (this country and elsewhere) whom chooses to have manners and follow rules and laws. It is easier to do the wrong thing than the right thing.

You're right, idealistically. In reality, well, what's the reasonable alternative in this particular situation? 95% of the goons that I went to high school with and have kept up with pretty much all got their issues sorted, graduated college and have good or at least decent jobs. We reminisce about what morons we were. The system seems to have worked out fine. Now, that's not to say another system wouldn't have, I'm just saying this one did.

Besides, like I said, I carried a knife every day and I know for a fact that a hundred other kids did too. Probably more, my school had 4500 kids. The point is that I didn't brandish it openly, ever. I mean, hell, we weren't allowed to have cell phones either, but all 4500 kids definitely did. It was just an issue of using them in a foolish manner/setting.

"Zero tolerance" doesn't only apply to schools.

My understanding is that the US military has strict rules regarding what knives and guns new recruits, and active soldiers, can carry, even in war zones. Yet the military seems to be functioning effectively. And such rules are enforced by officers who lead men into combat.

Federal buildings like courthouses have strict "zero tolerance" rules. I wonder what might happen if people were allowed to carry any knives and guns they wanted into such places.

If the US military doesn't trust it's own recruits, and active soldiers, to carry whatever they want, and if grown adults cannot be trusted to carry pocketknives into Federal courthouses, why should anyone be surprised when school administrators, who are responsible for the safety of hundreds of children and face the constant threat of lawsuits that could ruin their lives, would have strict rules prohibiting children from bringing knives to school.

Yes it's true that many school administrators take "zero tolerance" too far, like suspending children for squirt-guns or running around pretending to shoot other kids with their fingers, but that's not what the OP did. The OP brought a knife to school in clear violation of the schools established rules. People can say "Well it was such a tiny knife", but that's why they have "zero tolerance" policies- so administrators won't be making arbitrary judgements regarding when a kids knife qualifies as a dangerous weapon. If a teacher saw a kid with a small knife and did nothing about it, and if that kid hurt another child with that knife, that teacher's life could be ruined as a result (termination, lawsuit, loss of teaching credentials), not to mention the harm to the injured child.

And speaking as a parent with two small children, I don't want kids bringing knives to school. And if a child is spotted with a knife at school I want administrators to get involved, take the knife away, and find out why the kid felt the need to bring a knife to school. This isn't the 1950's, a lot of kids today have some serious psychological/behavioral problems. Whether it's the result of bad parenting (or no parenting), a chemical imbalance, or brain damage from mothers who drank, smoked, or took drugs, even young kids these days are capable of extreme violence. I've been at school events and watched some of these kids at play, and let me tell you it can be frightening. I'm talking about kids with no empathy, and no emotional self-control, whose idea of fun was to hurt other kids. Homeschooling is not an option for me so my kids have no choice but to attend public school. So no, I don't want kids to be allowed to bring knives to school.

Last edited:
Maybe where you're from they're considered a weapon but here in Canada, as well as many other places in the world, knives are a tool unless they're used to intimidate or harm someone.

You could bring a stick of dynamite to the airport and claim it's just a mining tool...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back