Washer Scrape

I recently purchased a pj small sebenza and decided to get a carbon fiber scale for cuscadi and I was very excited when it arrived. A while after, I lost a screw and bought a new one from CRK and when I went to disassemble the knife, I saw that the oversized washer had scraped against the carbon fiber scale. I assumed it did this over time since I went ahead to break in the knife after I put the new scale on. Is this supposed to happen? Because I always thought the bigger washer is not supposed to move so it does not scrape the scale like how KA is able to sell CF scale sebenzas.

I think gull wing gull wing had the same issue on his. Don’t remember what he did to fix the issue.
The washer should be stationary against the carbon fiber. I don’t know if flipping the washer over and running it dry will help it seat on the carbon fiber.

Unfortunately sometimes they rotate on the cf scale side. Even on the KA models. Not really a big deal, but can be mildly annoying. Try less or no lube on that side or maybe scour the scale with some type of abrasive? I dunno if that would actually work, just hypothesizing.

Yes, it can be annoying on a new knife. Got mine from Knife Art then called CRK, they said some do, some don't, not to worry about it, it won't hurt anything. Mine eventually stopped doing it.
As aengina said, lightly polishing the blade side of the washer may help.
Enjoy!

Mine was the same way at first. It's broken in and for the most part sticks against the CF as it should and still does so after its first good cleaning last night.

I did polish the washers with .5 Diamond paste on bare leather and suede.

It never made a difference regarding performance. Just mildly annoying if you think about it to much. And washer scrape is certainly not what's happening. The CF is just hard and smooth and there is very little friction.

If the blade side is over lubed. The friction will more than likely make the washer stick at first. The washer will take the path of least resistance. It's nice that these knives are so well made we can pick up on such a thing.

This is no doubt my favorite Sebenza to date.

IMG_20181123_103738~3.jpg

Last edited:
This actually happens on all types of different folding knives. Once it's broken in and lubed, the smooth blade surface should give before the CF scale and you'll have a stationary washer with a moving blade :thumbsup:

Back