Washington knife laws

Late response but for those who live here, are moving here, or will be visiting you need to look at the state law as posted above (the RCW) AND the laws of each city you will be in. Unlike firearms there is no preemption here. Each city is free to pass whatever knife restrictions it wants to.
Seattle bans folders with a blade over 3.5", and all fixed blade knives unless worn openly for work, hiking, or fishing. Or stored in a toolbox.
Tacoma has a 3.5 inch limit on any knives.
Everett and Yelm both have 3 inch limits.
Other cities will have their own restrictions or none at all.

Assisted openers are completely legal.

Automatics, no matter how they open are banned for almost everyone. The only exceptions are on-duty police (only full time, paid cops though, reserve don't count. The term is "general authority law enforcement officer," and the definition includes full time and fully compensated.), on duty military/NG, on duty EMTs, and on duty firefighters. Transport to and from where they are stored while not on duty is also ok.

There was this myth that you could have but not carry an automatic. Maybe the interpretation of the 1959 wording that says, "have in his possession."
What about an automatic that has a bias toward closure? Is that not a thing? Maybe I am reading the law wrong, but it looks like it says a knife with a bias towards closure while it's closed is excluded from the automatic/spring blade definition. I am sure i am wrong. 🤷‍♂️

What about an automatic that has a bias toward closure? Is that not a thing? Maybe I am reading the law wrong, but it looks like it says a knife with a bias towards closure while it's closed is excluded from the automatic/spring blade definition. I am sure i am wrong. 🤷‍♂️
It's the automatic release + no "physical exertion" to open the blade that makes it illegal. I'm not a lawyer, but I live in WA and I don't own any autos because they're all illegal here.

It's the automatic release + no "physical exertion" to open the blade that makes it illegal. I'm not a lawyer, but I live in WA and I don't own any autos because they're all illegal here.
Dadpool Dadpool is correct. Every automatic knife has bias toward closure, since there's got to be something holding it closed against the force of the spring. Where the line is drawn between auto ("spring blade knife" per the statute) and an assisted-opening knife is whether or not you have to exert force on the blade itself to open it. On an assisted knife, you use a thumbstud, flipper tab, thumb hole, or some other feature that's physically part of the blade to trigger the opening; on an auto, you use a button or switch to trigger the opening.

7Psw5fE.jpg
what's the otf please?

It certainly is a vague topic WA State from reading around online. I recently asked a Seattle (King county) police officer acquaintance who lives in Kitsap County about it. He said as long as it is under 3.5 it's ok. I also called a local knife shop in Tacoma and the employee on the phone said if my folders are under 3.5 will not be a problem. I live in Pierce county. All my folders are under 3.5. Anything over that size is really unnecessary for me personally. I try to avoid knives that would draw attention. And I would never deploy it in a manner that is threatening. Especially around sensitive types. There is a lot of fishing, boating and more rural lifestyle in my area so people are more apt to carry a folder merely for function.

I guess that as long as you carry something with a blade less than 3.5" long, and doesn't open with any springs assisting it: you'll be okay...

... as long as you don't draw attention to yourself!

FYI, RE: the part about "they're all illegal here."
One that is not illegal here in WA State, designed by the late great Blackie Collins, is ProTech Ciabatta Italian Slipper. Typical of ProTech, has a nice authoritative action :) and being sub-3.5" blade is legal most everywhere in the state.
Regards,

FYI, RE: the part about "they're all illegal here."
One that is not illegal here in WA State, designed by the late great Blackie Collins, is ProTech Ciabatta Italian Slipper. Typical of ProTech, has a nice authoritative action :) and being sub-3.5" blade is legal most everywhere in the state.
Regards,
Wow, that's a nifty knife! I see that it's technically an assisted-opener, but after watching how it opens I sure wouldn't want to be defending that classification in court. ;)

Dadpool,
Agree 100%
Blackie Collins was a crafty maker/designer with this model sneaking in under the radar of Federal and at least all my local jurisdictions. To date, have not had one person able to figure out how to open it. Lives "legally" in my safe and not on my person.

Hi guys, Paragon Warlock or Dreddlock - allowed in WA or not?

As far as the State is concerned; here are a few link of the RCW's (Revised Code of Washington) that relate to knives:

RCW 9.41.250

RCW 9.41.251

RCW 9.41.270

There are additional mentions related to knives elsewhere in the RCW's, but these are a few of the main listings in the WA State Codes (RCW's).

Additionally, depending on the specifics of where you are in the state there will be Local Municipal Codes that may even be more restrictive (City Codes, County Codes, Rules related to places like +21 alcohol sales locations, schools, court houses, etc.

yep, ugh. too bad
Thank you!
Anything you can do to understand AND support the efforts of Doug Ritter, as relates to his ongoing legislative efforts related to changing crazy knife laws across the country (efforts in virtually every state) would be appreciated.

Message of awareness.
Link to Dougs' website organization:
kniferights.org

Also, the link in my footer below (for those in WA State specifically).

Back