Watch me Fail!!

okay so I decided to put my BK7 to the bottle cut test... maybe I don't know some of the secrets to this thing cause I made myself look like a fool in front of my kids.
Here I am about to be awesome:
20130518_171610_2_zps78f29dcb.jpg

Here I am swinging hard:
20130518_171610_7_zpsc5456122.jpg

Here I am watching in disbelief as the bottle flies away as if I hit it with a friggin' baseball bat!
20130518_171610_8_zps00f99223.jpg

I then decided my technique must have been off. time for attempt number 2.

this is the windup:
20130518_171743_6_zps20739708.jpg

This is contact:
20130518_171743_8_zpsd642399e.jpg

This is me getting sprayed in the face as I cut through about half of the bottle:
20130518_171743_9_zps33b6b59e.jpg

thoughts

A. This is with the factory edge
B. Did I do something wrong?
C. How do I learn to live with myself?

Answers
A. The factory edge is probably a little obtuse, if you thin the shoulders of the edge a bit it will cut like a razor but will not be as tough.
B. You should swing at a slight downward angle, to aid in a more shearing cut.
C. It may take some time. Take some solace in the fact is will not be the last time they see you fail ;)

Answers
A. The factory edge is probably a little obtuse, if you thin the shoulders of the edge a bit it will cut like a razor but will not be as tough.
B. You should swing at a slight downward angle, to aid in a more shearing cut.
C. It may take some time. Take some solace in the fact is will not be the last time they see you fail ;)

I'll take C for $500 Alex. You get used to it. At some point they start teaching you stuff.

I tried to do the bottle cut thing too once, with the same effect. It just went flying across the shop. I was looking in the pics for a wrist or finger lanyard. Did you have one on?

thoughts

A. This is with the factory edge
B. Did I do something wrong?
C. How do I learn to live with myself?

Silly. Before you can cut a bottle in half, you're supposed to practice on badgers, hornet's nests, barrels of toxic waste, and dynamite. Make sure your kids film these practice sessions - from a safe distance, or a hardened bunker, if necessary - and post it here. We're hard up for some good entert... er, practice videos. :D

Actually, you got the same results I got with my old Camillus BK7. Once I put a better edge on it, it would cut through a water bottle but it still went flying. How some guys get a knife to go through several full water bottles at one time is beyond me. (I haven't used a Kabar BK-7, so I don't know if there's a difference between the factory edges.

~Chris

Jamboi,

I did not use a lanyard of any sort.

Tbaggin,

Immediately following I figured I should have filled it all the way. I also remembered that most often I see this with thinner water bottles.

Seems like zombie tools cut through 10 bottles, or maybe they were beer cans, with one of their swords. One of the best cuts I have seen. Get some of those Sams or dollar general water bottles, they are paper thin. You might be able to 3 or 4 of them and that would impress the kids.

You will also notice that people mostly cut water bottles online... The thin plastic of certain water bottles makes them fairly easy to cut. Pop bottles tend to be a little thicker and tougher. Probably to deal with being under pressure etc etc. This doesn't mean they can not be cut, but it just takes a pretty sharp edge, inertia, and hitting them at an angle. Grab you some thinner bottles, strike either at an upward or downward angle, yell curse words at them, and you will see quite a difference. Oh and milk jugs/water jugs are a lot of fun to cut too. They cut pretty easy.

And by the way, good on you for showing your "fail." That takes an amount of guts. A lot times people only show themselves in a positive light and never dare to share their "attempts." Glad your able to have fun with it.

:thumbup:

Oh great, now I'm going to have to try this.
I'll try it alone first, my kids still think I'm perfect.:D

A ) Yep, its quite dull/uneven.
b ) Even more yep.
First of all - cut in oposite direction - to the left, use your hips - like in boxing. If it is single bottle - cut diagonally.

Back