Water bag

Anyone have one yet? I've been looking for a top quality leather "duffel bag" for years now and I think I've finally found what I'm looking for.

Can't find many reviews online, but then I don't think they've been out very long.

It is a damn sexy looking bag.....

waterbag.jpg

i'm sure it will be top quality like the rest of their products. love my messenger bag.

I have a waterbag (medium). Love it!
It is very versatile. I almost bought the SBL duffle but the waterbag is better in that you can adjust it to different sized loads. Plus it's lighter than the duffle. And it looks awesome. No one else has a bag that looks like this.

The only thing I don't like is that if you stuff it too full you can see the contents just under the handles. However, it looks like they fixed that with the current version that has an extra leather flap.

The bag comes with 2 different liners but I tend to use no liner (there still is a semi-rigid bottom) to save weight and I like the looks better. The liner may make it a little easier to pack by keeping the sides open but I have not had a problem packing. I may use the liners more, at least the smaller one, as the bag breaks in and becomes softer.

Most of the time I use the bag for road trips so I just use the middle strap through the built in handles (barely seen in above photo) and do not use the detachable handle at all. It is very confortable to carry and looks best in this configuration IMO. When flying I use all 3 straps for security and add the handle (I do, however, remove the handle and shoulder strap when checking the bag).

I haven't used the waterbag in backpack mode but I have seen pictures on FB of a guy who hiked one up Kilamanjaro!.

Thanks rockcrawler! That's exactly the type of review I was looking for. I can definitely see using the built in handles 90+% of the time. Thanks for the heads up on the liners. I saw they added a fair amount of weight, but assumed that the 6" one was stitched in and the 9" one would slide inside of that. Glad to hear they both pull out! As for backpack mode, I think I'm going to go with the large and it doesn't convert that way sadly. So says the website. Its pretty close to the current duffel that I've been using and I'm thinking it'll make the transition that much easier.

Thanks for the info!!

Just remember that the large may be too big for carry-on. The medium (as long as it's not stuffed too full) will fit in overhead compartment bins but the Large would likely be check-in only.
If you are not flying with the bag then it doesn't matter.

According to specs they're both 9.5" wide with the large being 24" long vs the medium being 20". Well actually the large is 9 3/8" wide but close enough. I figure the extra space in the large will come in handy during road trips and such but will still be pack able for carry on too, just not packed as tall as the medium bag. United offers 45 linear inches for carry on. Figure the medium could be packed 15" tall, or the large could be packed 11" tall and fit in that requirement.

I usually error on the side of options and I'm thinking the large may be the one to offer me that.

So I just ordered the large in dark coffee brown, can't wait to load it for its first trip!

The bag arrived today. It is absolutely gorgeous! The photos really don't do it justice as to just how rich the color is. Even already having their medium bi fold wallet in dark coffee brown didn't prepare me for just how good what looks to be almost a full cow hide looks.

That said, Rockcrawler was correct. The large is HUGE! I'm just trying to decide now if it is too big and the medium is what I want or if I'm going to stick with the large.

Its not the length or width of the bag. Those feel just about perfect. However the 21" hight just wowed me. Picture a huge leather grocery sack. The inserts add some rigidness to the sides, but in my opinion aren't really needed. I like the loose bag feel. Its kinda like they were trying to give the bag some suitcase form as opposed to just letting it be a duffel bag.

To test it out, I took the inserts out. That still left a pigskin liner across the bottom of the bag.
I then packed:
2 pairs of jeans
2 pairs of cargo shorts
4 t-shirts
2 pairs of shoes

Minus some underwear, socks and toiletries a pretty good approximation of what I'd carry for a weekend away.

I barely scratched what this bag could hold. I couldn't strap it closed in a way that allowed me to use the built in handles without leaving a large airspace open in the bag. Basically unless I'm going to use it almost full, I don't see using those handles. However with what I put in it, it strapped closed plenty small enough to get under the United carry on limit by a decent margin. I could almost double what I put in there and stay inside the allowance. Then again, I've been able to push the envelope on that allowance for years without any problem so long as the bag fits in the overhead.

Going back to the height of the bag, at 21", you need an elbow to hold it open in order to pack items into the bottom. I can only imagine this need with increase as the bag breaks in and the leather softens up.

The length and width are perfect on this bag in this size in my opinion, its the height that makes me question reordering the smaller size. I like the flexibility the extra height offers but its a pound of extra weight to carry around when its not needed. The medium in 1 pound lighter without the liner and is 4 inches shorter in length and 3 inches shorter in height. That's 24 sq inches less leather. Makes sense that its a full pound lighter.

All that said, it is a damn good looking bag and in either size its a piece of luggage that'll turn heads and I'll be proud to own.

I'll edit this post shortly once I get the photos I took uploaded.

untitled-1.jpg

When full the duffel in front is full it is 12"x12"x 24". Its been my regular travel companion for some time, the waterbag is meant as its replacement.

untitled-2.jpg

untitled-3.jpg

This is my dark coffee wallet in contrast to the waterbag's dark coffee coloring. While they are definitely dyed the same color, the waterbag has some great marbling to the coloring of the leather.

untitled-4.jpg

It really is a GORGEOUS bag.

Last edited:
Beautiful. I'm just trying to justify the cost. If I do order it'll probably be in Tobacco and then I'll try and darken it a bit.

I'm in the market too, but after watching the video on the Saddleback site and also a youtube video about this bag, it just seems overly complicated to me. I like the idea, but could you provide some feedback about how long/difficult you find it to pack and close the bag, especially rolling it shut? Thanks and it looks like a real beauty! Good luck.

I'm in the market too, but after watching the video on the Saddleback site and also a youtube video about this bag, it just seems overly complicated to me. I like the idea, but could you provide some feedback about how long/difficult you find it to pack and close the bag, especially rolling it shut? Thanks and it looks like a real beauty! Good luck.

I didn't find the bag to be as complicated in person as it appeared in the videos. Because I was still trying to decide on the final size I wanted, I babied this one and didn't roll it closed. I only folded it and strapped it. Which is actually the way it arrived in the box. I doubt I'm going to be rolling it shut very often anyway. folding one side down and then folding the short sides in and following with the top over and strapped seems to be the way to go with this bag for me.

Think of how you'd fold the wrapping paper on the ends of a Christmas present box and you'll have a better idea how this bag folds shut.

I'll do a more detailed review once I have my medium bag in hand. So far I'm pretty impressed with it.

That's good to know...thank you. Too many choices...and if you add Rustic Leather to the mix it's almost overwhelming!

That's good to know...thank you. Too many choices...and if you add Rustic Leather to the mix it's almost overwhelming!

Rustic Leather didn't have anything I cared for. When it comes to my daily bags I tend to like more pockets. As for the luggage, just from the photos, it looks like Rustic is.... well more rustic in their details and quality control. Not to mention, they didn't have anything like the water bag.

Beautiful. I'm just trying to justify the cost. If I do order it'll probably be in Tobacco and then I'll try and darken it a bit.

I darkened a TB briefcase (older light tobacco color, current tobacco is quite a bit darker) with Hydrophane darkening oil. Woked pretty well and didn't change the finish (like Mink Oil does).

It's not complicated at all. Just choose which method you want to fold it (I tuck in the sides first then the larger flaps) and use that every time. The leather will develop a crease in that spot and almost fold itself after a short time.

After folding it's just a matter of buckling the 3 straps.
Actually, most of the time I have the 2 outer straps tucked in (there is a leather slot and sleeve for this very purpose) to the inside of the bag and just feed the center strap through the built in handles, buckle it and away I go.
For me, the 3 straps, and especially the roll-up method, are only used when checking bags or extreme dust protection/security is needed or there is very little in the bag and you want to make it small.

Medium bag arrived. Just as good looking as the large, but a much better size for my uses.

Review forthcoming.

Rockcrawler - thanks for the extra info, you've been spot on.

The medium really is a much better all around size. I had no problem packing cloths and toiletries for both my wife and I for a three day weekend in the medium and still have room left over. Even with both of our stuff packed in for 3 days, I could have easily fit it in any overhead bin with the possible exception of the little puddle jumpers.

While the large just felt huge when I pulled it out of the box, the medium just felt familiar.

As with the large, its gorgeous. There are a couple scars on the hide, one on the bottom and one on the back side next to where the middle strap attaches. The bottom one, looks like where the cow had scratched itself on something pretty hard. The other looks like a healed puncture wound about the size diameter of a barbed wire prong. Neither will cause any problem and I like that they show that its not just another "pleather" bag.

Here's some photos to give you an idea of what the medium looks like packed up for the trip.

medium-1.jpg

medium-2.jpg

medium-3.jpg

medium-4.jpg

medium-5.jpg

medium-6.jpg

Back