1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Water Cooled Platen set-up

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by J. Hoffman, Feb 8, 2015.

1. J. Hoffman

J. Hoffman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2011
    I know it's been discussed here before, but my searching has not found it. I have Nathans chiller, but I'm looking for the set-up on the other end. What kind of pump are you using for the water and how are you connecting everything. I would like to make the chiller water lines quick disconnect, but my local hardware store doesn't have anything like that. Photos of your set-up would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jess

2. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Fish pond pump from Home Depot, hose they sell with it, screw hose clamps and the infamous Homer bucket work for me. I just treat the chiller and hoses as a semi permanent unit and disconnect from the pump if I need to. Make sure you get the more powerful one.

3. SinePari

SinePari

Oct 24, 2013
    Thread bump for interest in Nathan's fluid cooled platen as well. That vertical grind setup is genius "think outside the box" ingenuity at it's finest!

4. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    push-to-connect fittings and tubing work well for a simple quick disconnect.

5. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    One important tip. Keep the water in your supply bucket clean as the chiller can get a little clogged of you have grinder dust in your bucket. For sure do NOT use your slack bucket as a water supply.:D

6. PT Doc

PT Doc

Dec 24, 2011
    Hydraulic fittings that are brass will work. They are used in the carpet cleaning industry and when you disconnect they won't leak. Parker makes these fittings and couplers.

7. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    I use a cheap aquarium pump that lives in a Home Depot bucket and run lines to and from through holes drilled in a tight lid that are exactly the same diameter as the tubing so no contaminants get in. No charge for the run on sentence. :D

8. Spalted

Spalted My name is Britt Askew I like making knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 9, 2010
    Now you tell me :D
    I was using the slack bucket for my water supply and the pump got clogged up and the platen had got a little warm by time I noticed.

Sticking with my grinders rat rod theme, for hoses I am using the hose off an old busted compression gauge and a piece of surgical tubing for the other.

I am on my second pump ( I guess if I start keeping it in clean water ??? :p ) first one wasnt strong as I would have liked. I think my current pump is around 315 gph and that seems to work good.