Water Knife?

I've recently started kayaking and would like to know if anyone can recommend a Spydie that would be good to clip to the floatation vest or just have handy out on the water.

Any suggestions?
confused.gif

My wife has a pink Cricket clipped to her PFD. I usually have a Mini Dyad. I wish Spyderco would make something completely corrosion resistant. Dentritic Cobalt? Talonite?

Thanks Steve!
I'm curious though - both knives you mention are extremely small. I'm not saying that one should carry a huge knife on the boat, but would such a small blade be sufficient for any necessary rescues?
You sound like an experienced boater, so what were the decision criteria for you?
Would a Delica to be a good choice (given that no cobalt or talonite Spydies are available...yet.)?
Also, where is the best place to clip it to your PFD?

Mike Sastre, who posts here regularly, is heavily involved in whitewater kayaking and he advised me to get a Harpy or Merlin for use on the water. I bought the G10 Harpy and am extremely happy with it. However this model has been discontinued but there is still the stainless steel Harpy or FRN Merlin. BTW make sure you get one of Mike's concealex sheaths for it (River City Sheaths). These can be worn as a neck sheath or fastened to your PFD and are make a great knife even better.

Another alternative would be the Clip-It which will clip onto a D-ring on your PFD.

Take care,

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Clay and Steve,
Thank you for your valuable input.
It's now time to go shopping!

-Mike

I just checked out the Rescue and Rescue Jr.
Those look to be just what I was looking for. I didn't even know those models existed. I knew about the Mariner, but not the Rescue.
The sheepsfoot blade makes sense on a moving boat - no one will get seriously poked or slashed like they might with a Harpy style blade.

Methinks a Rescue with one of Mike Sastre's sheaths might just do the trick.
wink.gif

You might take a look at the "EMT" versions of the Remote Release and Snap-It. They have Sheepsfoot blades as well as clipping easily to a D-ring.. I agree that the Merlin or Harpy would also be an excellent water knife.

Ben

------------------
"If you're upside down and burning, you probably went too fast."

Mike's reasoning is that the point on the hawksbill blade allows you to get under a line even if it is quite tightly wound around a body part. If (when
smile.gif
) the boat moves, the curve on the back of the blade will prevent injury.

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Good point, Clay.

I was just concerned about the caution necessary while approaching a person needing rescue on a moving boat and performing the cutting maneuver while avoiding any unncessary cuts or pokes.
I agree that the Harpy blade curvature would be very efficient at cutting the offending rope/line while protecting the person once the blade is inserted under the rope.

Has anyone read about (or experienced :eek
smile.gif
a real-life water/boating rescue where the rescuer used a knife - especially a Spydie?

Good point, Clay.

I was just concerned about the caution necessary while approaching a person needing rescue on a moving boat and performing the cutting maneuver while avoiding any unncessary cuts or pokes.
I agree that the Harpy blade curvature would be very efficient at cutting the offending rope/line while protecting the person once the blade is inserted under the rope.

Has anyone read about (or experienced
eek.gif
) a real-life water/boating rescue where the rescuer used a knife - especially a Spydie?

I've carried an Endura cliped to my verst or in the snap pocket for several years. Great knife, and it actually has a tip in case it needs to be jammed through a boat to open it up. I've cut lines, but never cut a person free. (knock on wood) Full serration s for sure. E

PS- Its not a Spydie, but i also carry a Gerber folding sport saw in the boat incase sh!t rains in. Don't forget the throw ropes and the carabines. Most important recusce equipment you can carry (outside of prevention), and I find that alot of boaters in the West don't seem to carry em. You'll pull your self out of more crap then cut out. Take a swift water rescue course as well. All boaters should be prepared.

[This message has been edited by afee (edited 10-05-2000).]

Rescue or Rescue Jr. would fill the bill. In a bright orange for visibility of course. And in one of Mike S. sheaths to cap it off.

I think the Snap- Its wichard snap attachment has its uses but would be a bit difficult to deploy in high speed emergencies. The neck/ PFD sheath is quicker.

L8r,
Nakano

I've been a officer with the state park police, assigned to the marine patrol for 5 years. I've carried a full size nylon rescue in an Uncle Mike's sheath on my uniform belt. Descrete and handy. I have a length of para cord attached to secure around the wrist when
performing utility tasks around deep water. I also have a second rescue in my PDF pocket, attached to the vest with a light cord.
I've used the rescue on countless occasions, making repairs, cutting line, removing line wrapped on a Jet Ski impeller shaft, you name it. During one rescue, I deployed the Spyderco to cut the sail lines on an overturned sailboat that my partner and I were righting in heavy seas. Usually we try not to damage any gear, but this had to be done in a hurry. With only one hand, the Spyderco worked great. I also have a remote release, but find the tension on the spring is not adequate, it can unintentionally come off. I know a few others with the same problem.

Back