Wave mods - BESIDES zip ties?

Loving my little Delica Wharncliffe. It carries so small and light compared to my Yojimbo, while still carrying that nasty wharncliffe blade. I hope to never use my knife defensively, but I think about the possibility.

In that vein, I've been contemplating adding a wave mod of some sort to the little beast. But I'm also leery or a permanent mod if I find out my fear of it opening automatically whether I want it to or not in the wrong situation is founded.

I'm coming up with a big goose egg in my web searches for an actual product that accomplishes this.

Is there one?

I'm with you. I'm holding out hope for a waved wharncliffe from the factory, but would love an aftermarket solution too.

I have seen some metal attachments in pictures on here over the years.

They were similar to the Flick-it from the 80's.

I've been looking for a classier and more sanitary version of the zip tie as well. If I stumble across a solution, I'll be sure to post.

I'll be watching here with interest. Good luck.

some people zip-tie a nut onto the top. Ive seen some people here do it but im not sure how it works cause ive never trued it

Loving my little Delica Wharncliffe.

I've been contemplating adding a wave mod of some sort to the little beast. But I'm also leery or a permanent mod if I find out my fear of it opening automatically whether I want it to or not in the wrong situation is founded.
?

It is not a Sprint..

Dremil it.

I know it's horrid, a true abomination, but TBH it works better than all other methods I've tried.

CAM05803_zpsdu1m2bki.jpg

Zip ties are more reliable than my Emerson lookalikes (Spyderco's, Cold Steel's thumb plate, etc)

20160212_160213_zpscp2pjnhb.jpg

and I've modded (Dremel grinder) some of my other blades, the Zip Ties showed a higher reliability rate than even those regrinds.

20160312_161249_zps8kapsevg.jpg

I am the first to admit it looks horrendous, but it's what's worked for me so far after test, tests, tests and trying alternatives, brands and methods.

20160321_165002_zps5bt3tjbu.jpg

Sorry folks, it's the way it is, but YMMV. :thumbup:

20160322_095142_zpsobmkd30r.jpg

I love that you've put function over form. I just wish there would be a way to have form and aesthetics.

I love that you've put function over form. I just wish there would be a way to have form and aesthetics.

Well I'm not sure what anybody else has done with the dremel but this is what I did with one . This is what I was talking about. It has never failed to open for me.

To the op you can prevent a waved knife from opening any time you want by sticking your finger over the spine of the blade when you take it out your pocket.

Also the best wave feature I have ever used was the pin on the P'kal. The wave on the Endura is good too.

Last edited:
Pick up one of these thumb studs from one of those knife-maker supply shops and move it from one blade to another in like 10 seconds.
Works well with the proper orientation.
daccaf01534ee2452abad0ad5589d7b6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks! I swear, when I got it there was a "cut here" line on the blade...had to do it ;)

~Chip

Backup carry for close to ten years...Waves on damn near anything (pockets, waist band, etc) ;)
And I bet with a wave that big it still opens with the thumb just as well as it ever did! I don't like waves but I can appreciate what you did there.

If you want something non permanent, zip tie really is the way to go. Inexpensive and easy to attach/remove. If you want something better looking, you could try to dremel something out of metal and attach it to the spyderhole, or possibly put a big glob of epoxy on it that fills up the whole spyderhole, then dremel that one into the shape you want.

Back