Waved Knife

Hey everyone,
Just picked up a custom waved BM 420 from STR. Really nice knife. Just been fooling around with the wave function part of it. Does anyone have any advice on the best way of using it. I've just been taking it out but only works part of the time. What does everyone else do?

The wave or Rave as he calls his mod, is supposed to work when you take it out of your pocket. You might need a bit of practice to catch the hook every time. You don't need to do it every time, of course.

They are a lot of fun, though! I just picked up a couple of waved Enduras to play with. :)

I handled a Spyderco Waved Endura recently (it was a passaround knife), and realized thaqt the wave feature wasn't exactly automatic. That's actually good, since there will certainly be times when you don't want to open the knife on the draw.

I found that the best way to ensure that it opened was to put my index finger in the pocket along the back of the handle, along with my thumb grasping the handle normally, and apply some pressure backwards during the draw, to make sure the wave caught the seam when drawn. Worked every time that way.

To draw the knife without the blade opening, I'd shove my thumb in my pocket as usual, but behind the knife, pushing it forward away from the seam before pulling it out.

Back